Nonprofit seeking sponsors to adopt a family for the holidays
November 21, 2012
With the holidays right around the corner, many of us are beginning to think about warm meals with loved ones and the joys of exchanging gifts. However, many local families with few resources are struggling to rebuild their lives after experiencing violence and are solely focused on how they will pay rent and provide food and warm clothing for their families.
For the 12th year in a row, Live Violence Free, formerly South Lake Tahoe Women’s Center, is organizing an opportunity for community members and businesses to come together to provide happier holidays for local adult and child survivors of violence. Last year the community helped hundreds of individuals who were working with Live Violence Free. Each family who was adopted expressed gratitude and many mothers cried when they saw and wrapped the gifts donors had brought for their children. We know that in these challenging times, more families than ever need your help.
There are many ways you can help local families who have been working closely with Live Violence Free:
– Adopt a family and receive a wish list completed by the family. There are families of all sizes to accommodate any budget.
– Donate nonperishable groceries or gift cards for pre-cooked holiday meals at local grocery stores (such as Safeway) so that families can enjoy special holiday meals and make happy memories together!
– Make a special end-of-the-year tax deductible donation toward Live Violence Free’s Adopt-A-Family program or to support our other comprehensive and trusted programs and services for survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault and child abuse.
– Call to learn about the many different ways we could put your energy to good work as a volunteer – one hour per week or even one per month would really help!
The deadline to adopt a family is Dec. 1 and the deadline to turn in gifts is Dec. 10 by 4 p.m.
Live Violence Free is located at 2941 Lake Tahoe Blvd. Please contact Diana at 544-2118 ext. 7621, or by email at email@example.com to let us know how you would like to make a difference in the life of a family affected by violence this holiday season.
– Scarlet Caldwell is the outreach educator for Live Violence Free.