Obituary: John Albert Matus
October 7, 2013
John Matus passed away on Sept. 24, 2013. At the time of his death, John was residing at Carson Valley Senior Living Center in Gardnerville, NV.
John was born in Riverside, CA on August 27th either 1913 or 1914. He is the son of Andrew and Mary Matus.
John completed high school in Riverside and studied at Pasadena Playhouse. There he discovered his passion for stage craft and began his career as a scenic artist. He later assisted in the theater department at UCLA and there met and married Elizabeth Johnston.
After he survived a year in a German POW camp during WWII, John and Liz moved to NY to pursue careers in television. They raised 3 children, Virginia, Joseph and Michael in Leonia, NJ.
In 1967 they returned to California to be near family and continue their work in television. In the late 70's they built a home in Lake Tahoe and later retired there.
John was predeceased by Elizabeth and is survived by Virginia and Norman Glenn, Michael and Joseph Matus and his extended family.
John's memorial is Oct. 21 at Our Lady of Tahoe Church in Zephyr Cove, NV.
For questions contact Virginia at email@example.com.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Obituaries
- Jack Johnson donates to Lake Tahoe environmental groups
- Truckee-Tahoe business owners tackle housing shortage by becoming landlords
- Ribaudo column: Is Lake Tahoe’s South Shore at risk of overtourism?
- State of the Lake Report on Lake Tahoe to be presented July 27
- Tahoe warming at 14 times the normal rate