Obituary: Michael Kevin Byrne
February 12, 2014
April 5, 1941 ~ January 5, 2014
Michael Kevin Byrne was born in Queens, New York, on April 5, 1941. He passed peacefully on January 5, 2014 in South Lake Tahoe.
The only son of Brendan and Rena Byrne of Kew Gardens, New York, and the beloved brother of Patricia Byrne, also deceased, he is survived by his sister, Jude Byrne.
A Tahoe resident for 30 years, Michael loved the pristine beauty of Tahoe.
He was a deep soul, an emotional, passionate and truly brilliant man.
A graduate of Georgetown University, he was a classics major and an award-winning chess champion. He shined as Othello in a Georgetown production and did summer stock in New York.
Michael served in the Army during the Panama Canal Crisis and was proud to be a Vet.
He developed a deep love of God which radiated from his very core. He spent his later years as the main reader of the Bible at First Baptist Sunday Service in South Lake Tahoe and at Sierra Community's Wednesday Bible studies. Michael's nickname was "Golden Voice" and his heartfelt readings made the Bible come alive for many.
There will be a "Celebration of Life Service" for Michael on Sunday, January 19, at 3pm at First Baptist Church 1053 Wildwood Ave, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150. All are welcome and there will be light fare afterwards.
In lieu of flowers, the family has asked that any donations be made to either to First Baptist Church or to Sierra Community Church to help those in need.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Tahoe crime recap: Scissor-wielding transient man arrested after hurling profanity, threats
- Suggestions for making the most of Memorial Day weekend at Lake Tahoe
- Locals’ guide to Memorial Day in Tahoe: A light-hearted take on escaping the hustle and bustle
- Lake Tahoe water board orders further study, cleanup of contaminated groundwater
- UPDATE: Police say stolen tractor-trailer crashed into famed brothel near Carson City