Letter: South Lake Tahoe water aerobics class a great service to the community
October 13, 2017
I am writing a letter of thanks to the South Lake Tahoe Department of Parks and Recreation.
I had the misfortune to require a hip replacement this September. With really all other forms of physical activity curtailed by pain prior to the surgery, I started going to the water aerobics class every day I could. Two instructors, Larry and Derrick, put us through our paces, and kept my cardiovascular system engaged and allowed a range of motion not possible on dry land. The class itself was composed of people disabled and not, all with good humor and a sense of community.
The class saved my brain as much as it saved the rest of my body. My orthopedic team had encouraged taking the class for its clear benefits. I'm not sure how many people in town know of this great opportunity to move comfortably and at very little cost.
Thank you again for maintaining this great service to the community.
Jean Makris, MD
South Lake Tahoe, California
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Opinion
- Ask Tessie: How do I meet a responsible man in Tahoe?
- Former and current Tahoe residents impacted by Northern California fires
- Construction begins on Round Hill Pines Beach Resort
- Where to view fall foliage — then grab a bite — in Lake Tahoe (video)
- Update on Eldorado National Forest wildfires: Table Fire grows to 250 acres; Ice Fire close to 100% containment