Ask Tessie: How would you vote on the sales tax increase?
June 12, 2017
I read in the paper this week that South Lake Tahoe residents will be voting on a half-percent sales tax increase in November with all revenue going toward improving our road conditions. I'm on the fence on this issue. How would you vote?
I Hate Potholes But I'm Cheap
Cruising on the roads of South Lake Tahoe is a wild ride these days. Will I blow out a tire? Mess up my suspension alignment? Bottom out my vehicle? The drive to Grocery Outlet has never been more treacherous.
Though you may never see me at City Council meetings, I watch them from the comfort of my cave on the live stream. I like to keep tabs on the goings-on of the community, but I can't actually attend in person because I don't think my eye rolling and groaning would be much appreciated during the grumblings of public comment period. Sometimes I feel like I'm watching an episode of "Parks and Recreation."
So when I hear the folks over at city hall (AKA the airport AKA a very weird spot for a city hall) say over and over again that there is no money in the budget for road rehabilitation, I have to say, I believe them. I'm certainly not pleased to hear that, but as a chill dude at a Grateful Dead concert once told me, "It is what it is, man."
As for this whole debate on who will pay more, the locals or the tourists, I care about the answer to that question just about as much as I care about who got a rose on the latest episode of "The Bachelorette."
Yes, the additional vehicles on the road from tourists put stress on our roads, but the damage is mostly from old, poorly constructed roads and our harsh alpine climate (duh). So if I have to fork over a little extra cheddar so I don't total my Suby when I'm headed to trivia at Himmel Haus, then I'm for it. Plus, it doesn't apply to groceries or meds. I wouldn't support anything that would mess with my nightly Ambien.
Knowledge dropped. You're welcome.
Tahoe Tessie is a humorous take on the standard advice column. It is produced by the Tribune staff, and it is not meant to be taken literally. Have a question you want to ask Tessie? Send it to email@example.com.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Opinion
- Guest column: Lahontan Water Board supports efforts to reduce impacts from wildfires
- Guest column: Together we can end bullying
- Guest column: Liberty Utilities’ environmental commitment
- Ask Tessie: What are the most important rules of beach etiquette in Lake Tahoe?
- Tahoe Mom Talk: Kid friendly restaurants (so you can actually enjoy your meal)
- Lake Tahoe kayaker recounts near-death experience in Upper Truckee River
- Harrah’s, Harveys Lake Tahoe to charge for holiday, special event parking
- Stand up pedalboards making waves around Lake Tahoe
- Revisiting Angora Fire 10 years after devastating blaze ignited in Lake Tahoe
- Edgewood Tahoe celebrates completion of $100M lodge