Give bicycle commuting a try
May 12, 2003
Toss the car keys aside, it is Bike to Work Week.
South Lake Tahoe is one of hundreds of cities in the state taking part in the weeklong celebration. Even though enthusiasts would like commuters to get to work on two wheels all week, they will settle for Friday — which is known as Bike to Work Day. Various coffee houses in town will pour a free cup of java for anyone who held onto handlebars instead of a steering wheel to get there.
The impetus for the week of bicycle commuting is to prove to people that this is a viable mode of transportation to get to work, that it reduces traffic and improves air quality. It is a way to educate people, talk about safety and get people into the rhythm of commuting via bike.
This is the 9th annual California Bike Commute Week. Larger municipalities are coordinating events all week. At http://www.californiabikecommute.com there is a ton of information about the event. The local site is http://www.bikelaketahoe.org/biketoworkday.htm.
Not every job is conducive to trading in the gas pedal for the bike pedal. And clearly our climate prohibits year-round bicycle commuting. However, there is a good chance most employers will be accommodating with the idea. It might mean storing a few bikes in the conference room or having them chained to a tree out front, or maybe knocking out a wall or two to install a shower.
Sling a backpack over your shoulders if a change of clothes will be required. Plan accordingly to make sure you get to work on time. Be sure to have a water bottle within reach.
Recommended Stories For You
Cycling is huge in Tahoe and getting bigger every year. There are trails on and off road that need to continue to be maintained and expanded.
The effort of groups in town to build a cohesive network of routes should be applauded.
We may not all be able to ride our bikes to work even one day a year, but many on the South Shore get on the two-wheelers at some point. It is incumbent upon us all, whether on bikes or in a vehicle, to share the road responsibly.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Opinion
- Ask Tessie: How do I get out of Thanksgiving with my family?
- Tahoe Mom Talk: Being more present during the holiday season
- Rep. McClintock: House tax bill fails the ‘do no harm’ test (opinion)
- Letter: ‘Thank you for keeping me updated’
- Rozak: 13 signs that tell me I’m ready for ski season to start (opinion)
- J-1 visa program helps Lake Tahoe South Shore businesses
- Carousel Estate on Lake Tahoe West Shore on market for $29.5 million (video)
- SnowSport Safety Foundation releases safety report card; California ski industry dismisses report
- El Dorado County moves toward temporary cannabis ban
- New mountain community under construction near Lake Tahoe