Hurricane Katrina: Offer help if you can
August 30, 2005
We’ve all seen pictures of the destruction: houses stripped to their foundations; mangled cars thrown off roadways or washed down streams; whole neighborhoods swallowed by storm-powered ocean surges and many lives lost. Hurricane Katrina has left total devastation in its wake, and in one of the poorest parts of the United States residents will need all the help they can get.
The Red Cross is one of the many organizations that will answer the call to provide aid to Katrina’s victims. The organization says it is launching the largest mobilization of people and supplies in its history to respond to the disaster. And they, along with other aid organizations, need money and people to meet the needs of the many displaced and desperate southerners affected by the hurricane.
The Northern Nevada Chapter of the Red Cross, based in Reno, is asking for volunteers and donations to send to hurricane-stricken areas. To help, call (775) 856-1000, send a check to 1190 Corporate Blvd., Reno, NV. 89502, or go online to http://www.nevada.redcross.org.
During this time of suffering, let’s wear our patriotism on our sleeves and do what we can to help out our fellow Americans. Whether it is through the Red Cross, your local church, or some other organized relief effort, make a donation.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Opinion
- Editor’s Notes: Reflecting on 1 year at Lake Tahoe (opinion)
- Guest column: Raising awareness of homelessness on Lake Tahoe’s South Shore (opinion)
- Ask Tessie: How do I get out of Thanksgiving with my family?
- Letter: ‘Thank you for keeping me updated’
- Rep. McClintock: House tax bill fails the ‘do no harm’ test (opinion)
- Carousel Estate on Lake Tahoe West Shore on market for $29.5 million (video)
- New mountain community under construction near Lake Tahoe
- Changes to South Lake Tahoe vacation home rental rules finalized
- J-1 visa program helps Lake Tahoe South Shore businesses
- Where to go in Tahoe if you don’t want to cook a Thanksgiving meal