Letter: Kaepernick could be appropriate
October 6, 2017
Plenty of Americans have been infuriated by Kaepernick's protest and the fire storm it has lit. But very few, including Carl, have bothered to see what it's all about. Yes, I'm embarrassed by his display, but he doesn't hate his country or disrespect our military; he only wants us to look at the increasing level of police violence against us, the citizenry.
I challenge you to become informed: Walter Scott, Justine Damond, Kelly Thomas, Tamir Rice, Eric Garner. Know the story? Seen the video? The list grows by hundreds a year. In the group of first-world nations, police kill our citizens at a rate many times greater than comparable nations.
But, police reform will come to America. The ubiquitous cell phone and social media make this inevitable. Many forward looking police departments are embracing the change; the resistance others show will not serve them well.
I support and commend our local law enforcement. They handle a difficult job that most people could not. But for the nation as a whole, our society and its police must find less lethal methods to deal with the public. We need to end street executions, just because this is America.
South Lake Tahoe, California
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Opinion
- South Lake Tahoe City Council backpedals on VHR ordinance
- Thrill seekers land backflips into Lake Tahoe from 99-foot rope swing (videos)
- Seamstress creates custom interior goods for Lake Tahoe homes
- Douglas County jury finds man innocent in alleged sexual assault at Lake Tahoe
- DA releases new video in El Dorado County cold case