Letter: Amgen is a bad deal for South Lake Tahoe residents
May 19, 2017
Even though I tried to avoid the backup caused by Amgen, I got stuck in it. Traffic was backed up from Al Tahoe to Stateline. That is about 3 miles. That is around 150 cars per mile or 450 vehicles and around 675 people sitting in traffic for an hour in just that one direction (probably as many going the other way, too) so that about 100 arrogant yuppies can parade through town on bicycles (not to mention how much gas was wasted and pollution sputtered into our air by the stalled vehicles).
As for Amgen attracting spectators, I saw very few of them. In fact, there were more police, sheriffs, CHP, fire crews and emergency personnel than spectators. And no one has mentioned how much all those public servants cost the rest of us taxpayers. We get the bill for all this overtime so a few merchants can make a few extra bucks. Doesn't sound like a very good deal for the residents of South Lake Tahoe to me.
South Lake Tahoe, California
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Opinion
- Truckee-Tahoe business owners tackle housing shortage by becoming landlords
- Review: What’s it like riding a LimeBike in South Lake Tahoe?
- Momentum picks up in fight against invasive plants in Tahoe Keys
- State of the Lake Report on Lake Tahoe to be presented July 27
- Proposed Shoreline Plan could allow 138 new piers in Lake Tahoe