Letter (Paul Andrew): Tahoe should enforce littering fines
October 18, 2016
My wife and I recently returned from a trip to the Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown area, which like Tahoe attracts tens of thousands of visitors each year. Unlike Tahoe, we found that every shopping center, street, path and public area wasn’t littered with paper, cans, bottles, Starbucks cups and cigarettes.
Besides seeing more trash dispensers, we also noticed numerous signs stating “Littering is illegal.” I asked a few locals about this, and was told that a $200 fine for littering was strictly enforced.
Though enforcing these fines might be challenging and costly, if the results were a cleaner Tahoe we might attract a better quality clientele who had more respect for our beautiful area.
Zephyr Cover, Nev.
Trending In: Opinion
- South Lake Tahoe City Council declares state of emergency
- Lake Tahoe weather: Are you ready for more snow and wind?
- Kingsbury Grade could be closed on Carson Valley side for weeks
- Lake Tahoe Wildlife Care takes in motherless cub found wandering in circles
- Lake Tahoe digs out from several feet of snow, another storm on the way