Letter (Paul Andrew): Tahoe should enforce littering fines
October 18, 2016
My wife and I recently returned from a trip to the Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown area, which like Tahoe attracts tens of thousands of visitors each year. Unlike Tahoe, we found that every shopping center, street, path and public area wasn’t littered with paper, cans, bottles, Starbucks cups and cigarettes.
Besides seeing more trash dispensers, we also noticed numerous signs stating “Littering is illegal.” I asked a few locals about this, and was told that a $200 fine for littering was strictly enforced.
Though enforcing these fines might be challenging and costly, if the results were a cleaner Tahoe we might attract a better quality clientele who had more respect for our beautiful area.
Zephyr Cover, Nev.
Trending In: Opinion
- ‘Ninja road stars’ piercing tires in South Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe supporters of Standing Rock host benefit concert; Washoe elders to speak
- Police seeking assistance with hit and run outside Harveys Lake Tahoe
- Stay ‘bear aware’ during winter in the Lake Tahoe region
- Lake Tahoe food tampering suspect caught shoplifting dog food at Raley’s last summer