Letter (Paul Andrew): Tahoe should enforce littering fines
October 18, 2016
My wife and I recently returned from a trip to the Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown area, which like Tahoe attracts tens of thousands of visitors each year. Unlike Tahoe, we found that every shopping center, street, path and public area wasn't littered with paper, cans, bottles, Starbucks cups and cigarettes.
Besides seeing more trash dispensers, we also noticed numerous signs stating "Littering is illegal." I asked a few locals about this, and was told that a $200 fine for littering was strictly enforced.
Though enforcing these fines might be challenging and costly, if the results were a cleaner Tahoe we might attract a better quality clientele who had more respect for our beautiful area.
Zephyr Cover, Nev.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Opinion
- Lake Tahoe kayaker recounts near-death experience in Upper Truckee River
- Edgewood Tahoe celebrates completion of $100M lodge
- Parking restrictions beefed up at Raley’s Village Center
- 5 things to know about the proposed South Lake Tahoe sales tax for roads
- Minden woman who died after falling in Upper Truckee River remembered at celebration of life