Letter — Reality is like living in a comic book
March 19, 2003
I feel like I’m on Bizarro, the backward plant of Superman comics.
A North Korean madman has nuclear weapons and threatens to use them so we attack an Iraqi madman. Deficits reach record levels so we cut taxes. The poor and middle class suffer most so we give relief to the rich. Whites overwhelmingly have the advantage in education so we fight against affirmative action. HIV/AIDS ravages the world so our government opposes condom use.
Conservatives rail against big government intruding into our lives so they want laws to dictate what prayers I listen to and want to tell my daughter and wife what they may choose to do with their bodies. Those who hated the “war-dodging president from Arkansas” love the “war-dodging president from Texas” and his draft-dodging vice president.
Next thing you know, the presidential candidate who get the most votes will lose.
South Lake Tahoe
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Opinion
- Ask Tessie: How do I get out of Thanksgiving with my family?
- Letter: ‘Thank you for keeping me updated’
- Tahoe Mom Talk: Being more present during the holiday season
- Rep. McClintock: House tax bill fails the ‘do no harm’ test (opinion)
- Rozak: 13 signs that tell me I’m ready for ski season to start (opinion)
- Carousel Estate on Lake Tahoe West Shore on market for $29.5 million (video)
- J-1 visa program helps Lake Tahoe South Shore businesses
- New mountain community under construction near Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe weather: Rain possible today, cloudy conditions to linger through week
- SnowSport Safety Foundation releases safety report card; California ski industry dismisses report