Letter — Tax increase just useless
March 19, 2003
A tax increase to support our local schools is futile unless the root cause of the exodus of students and tax base out of our community is addressed simultaneously. That cause is the ever-increasing conversion of family homes to vacation rentals. If this trend continues, then tax increases are just putting a bandaid on the problem. The people I know who are rallying around the vacation rental issue are those who have always supported educational needs in our community. However, there are many of us who will oppose this tax increase unless one of the main reasons for student exodus is publicly and vigorously addressed.
South Lake Tahoe
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Opinion
- Ask Tessie: How do I get out of Thanksgiving with my family?
- Tahoe Mom Talk: Being more present during the holiday season
- Rep. McClintock: House tax bill fails the ‘do no harm’ test (opinion)
- Letter: ‘Thank you for keeping me updated’
- Rozak: 13 signs that tell me I’m ready for ski season to start (opinion)
- J-1 visa program helps Lake Tahoe South Shore businesses
- Carousel Estate on Lake Tahoe West Shore on market for $29.5 million (video)
- SnowSport Safety Foundation releases safety report card; California ski industry dismisses report
- El Dorado County moves toward temporary cannabis ban
- New mountain community under construction near Lake Tahoe