Letter to the editor: Changes should be made to gun ownership policies
April 17, 2013
The rage continues about gun control here in our country. It seems the National Rifle Association is winning, and it's a shame. Bottom line: we do have a gun problem in the country; if Sandy Hook didn't teach you this, then you don't have a heart.
There are those of us who believe that with gun ownership comes gun responsibilities. How to safely handle guns. How to safely store guns in the house. How to safely sell a gun to someone who is legally able to buy a gun, and someone who, in turn, has proved he or she knows how to "handle" that gun. There are those of us who think that military-style weapons do not belong in civilian life. There are those of us who want to see magazine loads limited — it will not stop the insane carnage, but it might limit the deaths. There are those of us who think these are reasonable standards for gun ownership, and that these changes in no way take away your Second Amendment rights.
Then there are those on the opposite side who want zero changes with any policy toward gun ownership. This, to me, after the horrible tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary school, is just ludicrous. I'm a gun owner. I'm an outdoorsman. I take my responsibilities seriously. I wish other citizens and our politicians, would do the same.
South Lake Tahoe
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Opinion
- Tahoe Chamber Corner: There’s room for everyone
- Ask Tessie: What are the most important rules of beach etiquette in Lake Tahoe?
- Guest column: Lahontan Water Board supports efforts to reduce impacts from wildfires
- Guest column: Together we can end bullying
- Guest column: Liberty Utilities’ environmental commitment
- Lake Tahoe kayaker recounts near-death experience in Upper Truckee River
- Edgewood Tahoe celebrates completion of $100M lodge
- Parking restrictions beefed up at Raley’s Village Center
- 5 things to know about the proposed South Lake Tahoe sales tax for roads
- New university center to bring more 4-year degrees to Lake Tahoe Community College