Letter to the Editor: Controlled burns unneeded
January 19, 2010
My husband and I are vacationing in the Zephyr Cove area and last Sunday a controlled burn was started here. It has been a nightmare. We come to Tahoe for the wonderful pure air that is here.
I have asthma and have had to wear a mask even when sleeping because of the terrible choking smoke. Even on the day it snowed we were choking on smoke. We can not enjoy walking outdoors as it is not safe to breath this toxic smoke.
It has been burning some place all around the Lake since we arrived Oct. 1. If there is any more smoke after the storms this week we will leave and go some other place where we can breathe. What part of losing tourists here in Tahoe do you not understand or maybe no one cares?
It seems like these huge piles of wood and branches that are being burned could be better handled – like composting or shredding. Certainly there is some other way to take care of it without poisoning the air and the Lake.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Opinion
- Ask Tessie: How do I get out of Thanksgiving with my family?
- Tahoe Mom Talk: Being more present during the holiday season
- Rep. McClintock: House tax bill fails the ‘do no harm’ test (opinion)
- Letter: ‘Thank you for keeping me updated’
- Rozak: 13 signs that tell me I’m ready for ski season to start (opinion)
- J-1 visa program helps Lake Tahoe South Shore businesses
- SnowSport Safety Foundation releases safety report card; California ski industry dismisses report
- El Dorado County moves toward temporary cannabis ban
- Lake Tahoe weather: Rain possible today, cloudy conditions to linger through week
- Verde Mexican Rotisserie closes Meyers location