Letter to the editor: Many thanks for a job well done
April 30, 2014
On April 23, 2014, Andrew Sanford was convicted on a 1st degree murder charge with special circumstances of robbery and burglary for the brutal murder of our son, Richard Swanson at the old South Tahoe Shell Station. Our sincerest thanks and respect go out to the extraordinary team of people who made the arrest and prosecution of this very dangerous person a success. We owe our gratitude to the following people and entities:
El Dorado County District Attorney's Office — District Attorney Vern Pierson for prosecuting the case. Deputy District Attorney Trish Kelliher for her phenomenal drive and ability to prosecute this very difficult case. DA Investigator Paul Moschini for the endless hours he spent interviewing and bringing together information. Victim Witness Advocate Miguel Garibay for always being available for our many questions, keeping us informed and his support.
South Lake Tahoe Police Department — Retired Police Chief Terry Daniels for his commitment to us to pursue this case and for being true to his commitment. Lt. David Stevenson for putting together the investigation team. Retired SLTPD Detective Chuck Owens and retired FBI Agent Jeff Rinek for their tireless and dogged investigation of this cold case. They kept the investigation alive and active. Chief Terry Uhler for keeping the investigation going after Chief Daniels retired.
Kathay Lovell, Mayor Pro Tem, South Lake Tahoe City Council and her fellow councilmen for their support in re-opening of this cold case.
FBI Agent Chris Campion for all his support and assistance in the investigation and coordinating with the FBI labs in Quantico, Virginia.
California Dept. of Justice analyst and DNA expert Shawn Kacer for his expertise and professionalism.
Recommended Stories For You
The Tahoe Daily Tribune for their many fine articles that kept the case from being forgotten over the past 33.5 years.
The very focused and dedicated jury that endured five weeks of complex testimony and graphic photos. Their patience and attention were astounding.
There are many others who contributed to the successful prosecution of this case.
You are all our heroes!
Ron and Sharon Swanson
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Opinion
- Ask Tessie: How do I get my stolen bike back?
- Letter: ‘Thank you for keeping me updated’
- Tahoe Prosperity Center column: Disasters highlight importance of community and business resiliency
- Tahoe Mom Talk: Family friendly activities for the fall
- Nothing but good things to say about the team at Barton Hospital
- South Lake Tahoe man lying in highway dies after being unintentionally run over in Gardnerville
- Woman arrested for DUI after crashing into tree in South Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe weather: Chance of snow at 7,000 feet on Thursday and Friday
- First snow falls in Lake Tahoe; Kirkwood reports 3 to 4 inches
- South Lake Tahoe motorcyclist dies in Hope Valley crash