Letter to the editor: Vote ‘yes’ on Measure L
April 23, 2014
We feel it is our responsibility to voice our support for Measure L, the tax that provides funding for the South Lake Tahoe Library. Not only does our library provide educational and multi-media services to people of all ages, it provides community programming, a safe environment for children and youth, and it promotes a love for reading and learning. While one may argue that the internet is making libraries obsolete, we must remind our community that our library is a critical resource for research, whether for an entrepreneur researching businesses, a student preparing his or her high school senior project, or a new mother looking up information on parenting. Our trained librarians can help library patrons carry out quality research in an environment conducive to studying. We must also keep in mind that not all people have access to the Internet. Many people rely on the library for just that reason.
Libraries help bridge the socioeconomic gap within communities. Additionally, our library is the only resource for accessing books in town. But the library isn't all work and no play. Parents with small children have the opportunity to attend Story Time each week, fostering the importance of literature from a young age. We have been lucky enough to see the benefits of the library come full circle in our own lives. We fell in love with reading as children, visiting the library after swim lessons at the Rec Center, and recently we've been given the opportunity to present our very own children's book series to children at the library through Friends of the Library programming. There's something special about being the spark that ignites a child's love for reading. Voting "yes"on Measure L will keep the flame alive.
Robyn Lindner and Christie Rassuchine
Authors of The Crazy Club Book Series and South Tahoe natives
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Opinion
- Editor’s Notes: Reflecting on 1 year at Lake Tahoe (opinion)
- Ask Tessie: How do I get out of Thanksgiving with my family?
- Letter: ‘Thank you for keeping me updated’
- Guest column: Raising awareness of homelessness on Lake Tahoe’s South Shore (opinion)
- Rep. McClintock: House tax bill fails the ‘do no harm’ test (opinion)
- Carousel Estate on Lake Tahoe West Shore on market for $29.5 million (video)
- New mountain community under construction near Lake Tahoe
- Changes to South Lake Tahoe vacation home rental rules finalized
- J-1 visa program helps Lake Tahoe South Shore businesses
- Where to go in Tahoe if you don’t want to cook a Thanksgiving meal