Ask Tessie: What do you think about Whole Foods coming to SLT?
August 14, 2017
I read in the Tribune that we are getting a Whole Foods on the Knights Inn property. A lot of people who live here can't afford it — and doesn't this town have enough grocery stores already?
I'm Sticking With Grocery Outlet
For some reason everyone seems to be choosing to only see the "Whole Foods" part and ignoring the "365." We're getting a Whole Foods 365, which is a lower-priced store, comparable to Trader Joe's.
But hey, if you want to believe that Whole Foods is coming here — and hiring only tourists who will ride LimeBikes to work while spending each week in a different vacation home rental — then that's your prerogative. (But you're wrong.)
Recommended Stories For You
And even if Whole Foods 365 caters to a more affluent crowd who want to buy non-GMO, organic kohlrabi grown by liberal vegans, what's wrong with that? Those people exist and will shop there. Hold on to your britches because I'm about to drop some stellar advice: Don't shop there if you don't like it.
What's more, just because you don't want to shop there doesn't mean there aren't a whole slew of local residents (*raises fin*) who are tired of waiting in the long lines at Safeway and would love to get down with some kale chips and beet kombucha from Whole Foods 365. If my salmon isn't line-caught by a Buddhist monk, then I don't want it.
However, I would also like to use this platform to give a shout-out to my small biz folks who have been serving up incredible healthy and gourmet food for years in South Lake Tahoe.
Cork and More: Even though I end up buying four blocks of cheese with names I can't pronounce when I just went in for a deli sandwich, you are the best. Also, your fondue kits are the bomb.
Grass Roots Natural Foods: Where else would I buy my plant-based face lotion that has kept me looking youthful for hundreds of years? Your granola is my fave, and I really dig your bath salts.
Sprouts Café: Nothing will ever beat your carrot-apple-beet-ginger juice. Or your Green Machine smoothie that looks disgusting but tastes amazing. Keep it up.
Tahoe Tessie is a humorous take on the standard advice column. It is produced by the Tribune staff, and it is not meant to be taken literally. Have a question you want to ask Tessie? Send it to email@example.com.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Opinion
- Ask Tessie: How do I get out of Thanksgiving with my family?
- Letter: ‘Thank you for keeping me updated’
- Rep. McClintock: House tax bill fails the ‘do no harm’ test (opinion)
- Tahoe Mom Talk: Being more present during the holiday season
- Rozak: 13 signs that tell me I’m ready for ski season to start (opinion)
- Carousel Estate on Lake Tahoe West Shore on market for $29.5 million (video)
- J-1 visa program helps Lake Tahoe South Shore businesses
- New mountain community under construction near Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe weather: Rain possible today, cloudy conditions to linger through week
- SnowSport Safety Foundation releases safety report card; California ski industry dismisses report