Letter: What is Ted Gaines talking about?
March 15, 2017
In reading the opinion article titled, "Sanctuary state bad idea for California" by Ted Gaines, several things came to mind.
First of all, what country is he living in?
I personally have lived in several large cities and I have never seen this dangerous world of "illegal immigrants" he talks about. Have you? His attempt to drum up fear of the "other" in this case, immigrants, is a tired trope that is poorly presented and does not adhere to the facts as we know them to be.
Immigrants provide essential services to California, they work hard and pay taxes, (unlike our president). Most violent crime in this country is not committed by "illegal immigrants."
If he is interested in discussing what to do about immigration, that is one thing, but to drum up fear is reckless and irresponsible to say the least.
Gaines asks: Why is the state government working on mandating background checks for ammunition purchases? If you are so terrified, Mr. Gaines, wouldn't you want background checks to make sure "bad" people don't get guns and ammo? It's pretty clear that more guns equal more violence.
Lastly, Mr. Gaines throws in an attack on our public schools. I have taught for over 17 years in both public and private schools. I have been in over 32 schools across the country. How about you, Mr. Gaines? How many schools have you worked in?
For the most part, I've found teachers to be dedicated, hard working and inspiring. But if you want to improve California schools, raise salaries, attract awesome people and let them do their damn jobs. Treat teachers like the professionals they are, and listen to what they need.
Raise the minimum wage so families don't struggle in poverty. Chronic stress from poverty significantly reduces a child's ability to learn. Support early learning programs and universal preschool.
And stop blaming immigrants for your failed leadership, Mr. Gaines. No one is falling for it.
Twin Bridges, California
Stories You May Be Interested In
Trending In: Opinion
- Ask Tessie: How do I find housing in South Lake Tahoe?
- A fresh perspective: Tahoe’s talk of cannabis begins
- Ribaudo column: Ideology should not negate smart community investments in Tahoe
- Letter: ‘Thank you for keeping me updated’
- Tahoe Prosperity Center column: Spring is perfect time to find future opportunities
- Lake Tahoe filled to the brim for first time in years (video)
- Tahoe crime recap: Man lights car on fire after taking LSD and being subjected to ‘satanic magic’
- Vacation rental representative questions South Lake Tahoe’s data
- South Tahoe football player to attend University of San Diego
- Sale of Chateau at the Village in South Lake Tahoe closes for $42.5M