Police urge awareness of convicted sex offender
July 26, 2013
The public should also be aware of the following information:
• Registered sex offenders in California are listed at http://www.meganslaw.ca.gov/
• Registered sex offenders in Nevada are listed at http://www.nvsexoffenders.gov
• The offender registry includes only those persons who have been required by law to register and who are in compliance with the offender registration laws.
• The information contained in the registry is provided as a public service and may not be current or accurate.
• Persons should not rely solely on the offender registry as a safeguard against offenses in their communities.
• The crime for which a person is convicted may not accurately reflect the level of risk.
• Anyone who uses information contained in the registry to harass registrants or commit any crime may be subject to criminal prosecution.
• The purpose of this release of information is to allow members of the public to protect themselves and their children from sex offenders as proscribed by California Penal Code section 290.45.
UPDATE: Although Goetz is in fact a registered sex offender on lifetime supervision, he is not on active parole in the State of Nevada, South Lake Tahoe Police Department stated in a release Saturday morning. Goetz is permitted to travel into California to work and to seek employment in the Lake Tahoe area, police said. His attempts to obtain a business license through the City of South Lake Tahoe alone do not amount a parole violation or any other criminal violation, though Goetz must still adhere to several special conditions including staying away from areas or businesses which children frequent, and not accessing the Internet without permission, police stated. Goetz is not wanted by law enforcement officials. Goetz is currently in compliance the terms of his supervision. The information below has been updated to reflect this information.
South Lake Tahoe police believe a registered sex offender has been frequenting South Lake Tahoe and are encouraging the public to use caution.
Incline Village resident Wesley Goetz, 55, was convicted of three counts of felony lewdness with a child under 14 in 1998, according to previous news reports.
Goetz pleaded guilty to the charges, which stemmed from his alleged molestation of an 11-year-old girl, according to the reports.
"This month Wesley Goetz attempted to falsely obtain a business license from the City of South Lake Tahoe to become a photographer at children's birthday parties, a handyman and a traveling salesman," according to a statement from police. "He has also attempted to conduct an Internet-based business. The City of South Lake Tahoe has refused to permit Goetz a business license. Goetz has falsely claimed to SLTPD detectives that he has permission to be near children."
Investigators believe Goetz could reoffend, according to the statement.
Goetz is described as being 5 feet 4 inches tall, 140 pounds with brown hair and blue eyes.
He has two vehicles registered to him, including a 1991 Ford Aerostar van bearing Nevada license plate number 805WXK and a 1995 Honda motorcycle bearing Nevada license plate number 177782, according to the statement.