Registration open for free healthy aging series
October 8, 2013
The El Dorado County Health and Human Services Agency and Active Aging program will present a free educational series in South Lake Tahoe.
The series will give instruction and support to people age 60 and older and to their family members and friends. The classes will be held as follows:
• Oct. 21: The Healthy Plate. Learn ways to control and improve caloric and nutritional intake by using the “Plate” method. Compare and contrast various methods to compose meals for optimal health.
• Oct. 28: The 4 D’s. Learn to distinguish the differences between delirium, delusions, dementia and depression. “The 4 D’s” are ailments that will at one time or another affect many frail or aging individuals.
• Nov. 4: Defeating Guilt and Depression: Family members of aging persons, and those who care for aged individuals, may suffer from feelings of guilt and depression in their best attempts to provide care. This session helps participants find meaningful and empowering ways to reduce stress.
• Nov. 11: Effective Assessments and Care Plans – The Assessment. Learn how to effectively complete a care needs assessment of a loved one. At the end of this session, participants will be given a blank assessment to complete on their loved one’s behalf.
• Nov. 18. Effective Assessments and Care Plans – The Care plan. Learn how to effectively complete an individualized care plan based on information gathered from the assessment as part of the November 11 class.
• Nov. 25: Goodenough Speaks. Learn how the benefits of meditation decrease stress and increase physical and mental health.
Classes will be held Mondays from 1-3 p.m. at the Lake Tahoe Resort Hotel, 4130 South Lake Tahoe Blvd. in South Lake Tahoe. Advanced registration is requested but not required. For information or to register, call 530-621-6151 or 800-510-2020.