Aces swept in Nashville
Ryan Summerlin June 13, 2014
The Reno Aces were swept for the first time this year, by Nashville in a four-game series.
In the series finale Thursday night, the Aces fell to the Sounds 12-6 after Nashville scored seven runs in the first inning.
Aces starting pitcher Lucas Harrell went just two innings after giving up three home runs in the first. In the two innings, Harrell gave up nine runs on nine hits with three strikeouts.
Justin Van Grouw took the mound for Harrell and threw three shut-out innings.
A two-run single by Nick Ahmed got the Aces on the board in the seventh inning that brought the score to 11-2. Nashville’s Kyle Heckathorn added a solo home run in the bottom of the seventh
Reno started to look like a baseball team in the seventh inning and scored four runs in the eighth off RBI singles by Danny Dorn and Bobby Wilson and a two-run homer by Mike Freeman, his first Triple-A homer.
Reno had the bases loaded with two outs in the ninth inning, but Dorn struck out to end the game.
Freeman and Wilson each had three hits in the game and Ahmed had two, his 19th multi-hit game of the year.
Reno travels to Memphis to continue its roadtrip with a four-game series against the St. Louis Cardinals affiliate Redbirds.
Trending In: Sports
- South Tahoe girls soccer blanks Elko, Spring Creek, delivers first shutouts of season
- South Tahoe football beats Lowry 44-6, stays healthy while winning third straight
- Take a hike: A scenic jaunt to Lake Margaret is well worth the work (watch the video)
- Sports Roundup: Lake Tahoe CC women’s soccer wins non-conference finale, South Tahoe volleyball extends streak, Vikings boys soccer rallies for tie
- Slow start costs Whittell football in 36-30 loss to Virginia City
- South Lake Tahoe Warm Room consequences (opinion)
- Collin still committed to South Lake Tahoe council candidacy after fatal wreck
- Letter: BEAR League board member says, ‘We are not making this up’
- Tahoe Keys to apply for herbicide trial in effort to fight aquatic invasive species
- The Chateau at the Village in South Lake Tahoe sells for $42.5M