Celebrate Olympic Day with BMX
June 19, 2014
The Olympic Movement is coming to South Lake Tahoe when South Lake Tahoe BMX hosts a race Friday night in celebration of Olympic Day.
"South Lake Tahoe has lots of Olympians and BMX is an Olympic sport so we are excited to take part in Olympic Day and inspire kids in the community to get out and try BMX," said track operator Jason Toutolmin. "South Lake Tahoe BMX is proud to support the Olympic Movement and encourage children to lead healthy, active lives and maybe pursue their dream of being an Olympic athlete someday."
This race is one of 700 events taking place nationwide that are designed to engage youths and promote ideals of the Olympic movement. Olympic Day began in 1948 to commemorate the start of the modern Olympic Games. Around the world, over 160 countries participate in Olympic Day celebrations.
The race on Friday is free to all ages with signups from 4:40-6 p.m. and racing starts at 6:30. No USA BMX membership is required to participate.
For more information go to http://www.tahoebmx.com.
Trending In: Sports
- Which Lake Tahoe golf courses are open for play?
- Hike around Lake Tahoe: Most backcountry trails still covered with ‘a lot of snow’
- South Tahoe softball ends season at NIAA 3A regional tournament
- Whittell, South Tahoe track teams to compete at NIAA state tournament
- South Tahoe football player to attend University of San Diego