City to hold golf championship
June 25, 2008
South Shore golf courses have crowned their own champions, but now golfers can find out who the best player in the area really is.
The city of South Lake Tahoe Parks and Recreation Department announced has announced the unveiling of the 2008 Amateur Open Golf Championship set for for Sept. 22-25.
The Championship will be contested over 27 holes of golf – 18 at Lake Tahoe Golf Course and nine at Bijou Golf Course. The winner of each division will be the player with the lowest gross score for the 27 holes.
Although the tournament spans four days, players will only play two days.
“We are doing this to be as inclusive as possible – a participant has to play a round at LTGC on either the 22nd or 23rd of September and a round at Bijou on either the 24th or 25th of September. The idea was to hopefully allow a couple of alternative days for participants who might not be able to get a specific day off to participate,” said Chris Hawken, said parks and recreation assistant director.
The championship will feature a $10,000 Hole-In-One at Bijou No. 9 along with other three hole-in-one prize opportunities at Bijou. It will also feature a longest drive prize opportunity at Lake Tahoe Golf Course.
Recommended Stories For You
Players will be classified in one of six divisions: a men’s and women’s division in each of the following categories – open, senior and juniors. Entry fees are $85 for El Dorado County residents and $70 for juniors and $105 for non-residents and $85 for juniors.
The word is out and people have already started to register. A maximum of 120 players can participant in the tournament so sign up early to avoid disappointment. The entry deadline is Aug. 15.
Besides the hole-in-one prizes, trophies will be presented to the winners of each each division. These winners will also have their names placed on an perpetual trophy.
For more information, tournament rules and entry forms, go to recreationintahoe.com or by phoning (530) 542-6056.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Die-hard skiers and riders turn out for opening day at Kirkwood Mountain (videos)
- Kirkwood Mountain Resort opening today
- Lake Tahoe Community College Coyotes fall to Santa Rosa in NorCal quarterfinals
- Northstar California Resort cancels Thanksgiving Day opener
- New attractions set stage for 2017-18 winter at Tahoe resorts
- Carousel Estate on Lake Tahoe West Shore on market for $29.5 million (video)
- Changes to South Lake Tahoe vacation home rental rules finalized
- New mountain community under construction near Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe weather: Winter storm could dump 5 inches of snow at Tahoe
- South Lake Tahoe artist opens brick and mortar for hand-printed goods