CUFA Tahoe Fall Classic soccer tournament makes debut; STFC Challengers, Hustle Blue win U-11 championships
November 5, 2016
The inaugural CUFA Tahoe Fall Classic brought 60 teams from across Northern California and Nevada to the South Shore last month to battle on the pitch. Tahoe Soccer Foundation and South Tahoe Futbol Club put on the two-day tournament held Sept. 17-18.
On the field, two local teams delivered the championships at the U-11 level. South Tahoe FC Challengers won the boys title by beating FC Elk Grove 06B Elite 1 1-0, and STFC Hustle Blue won the girls crown over Sagebrush SC Lady Nomads 06 with a 2-0 result in the final.
South Tahoe FC Tough finished second in the girls U-14 division, falling to Sagebrush SC Lady Nomads 03 1-0 in the championship match. The tournament featured teams ranging in age from U-11 to U-18, with games played at five locations on the South Shore.
CUFA Tahoe Fall Classic is a counterpart to the annual Come Up For Air tournament in the summer, which has run for two decades and featured 158 teams in 2016. Tahoe Soccer Foundation estimates that 4,000 visitors came to South Lake Tahoe for the inaugural event, providing an economic impact during shoulder season.
South Tahoe Football Club and Tahoe Soccer Foundation wished to express their appreciation for the support from South Lake Tahoe and the surrounding soccer community for welcoming and participating in the CUFA Tahoe Fall Classic. For more information on the tournaments, visit http://www.tahoecufa.com.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- SnowSport Safety Foundation releases safety report card; California ski industry dismisses report
- South Tahoe’s Sullivan signs with St. Mary’s College
- Solano forfeits Saturday match, Lake Tahoe Community College advances in playoffs
- Heavenly, Northstar push back opening days to Nov. 23; Kirkwood to announce new date
- Lake Tahoe Community College Coyotes get No. 3 seed, will host Solano Saturday