Curling club to host first tournament
November 5, 2013
Lake Tahoe Epic Curling will host its first tournament Saturday at South Lake Tahoe Ice Arena.
The tournament — known as a "bonspiel" in curling parlance — will begin at 9 a.m., with teams of four squaring off in three games. The second round will start at noon and the third round will take place later in the afternoon. Club members and teams from Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Roseville and the Bay Area are expected to participate.
In between tournament play, LTEC club members will receive instruction from nationally-recognized curlers.
Curling is traditionally a winter sport in which curlers slide on the ice, carefully sending a polished granite stone (or rock) 150 feet to the other end of the arena, where a target consisting of three concentric rings determines who's the closest, and who grabs the points.
For information or to learn about curling, email email@example.com.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Smoke from Mariposa County fire continues to fill Tahoe Basin (video)
- Tahoe Keys Marina without running water as dispute over bills continues
- Mariposa County fire in California threatens 1,500 structures near Yosemite
- Sierra homeowners are losing coverage because of surrounding brush, trees
- Carson City bypass ready for debut; residents to ride, run, walk final stretch of freeway Saturday