Curling club to host first tournament
November 5, 2013
Lake Tahoe Epic Curling will host its first tournament Saturday at South Lake Tahoe Ice Arena.
The tournament — known as a "bonspiel" in curling parlance — will begin at 9 a.m., with teams of four squaring off in three games. The second round will start at noon and the third round will take place later in the afternoon. Club members and teams from Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Roseville and the Bay Area are expected to participate.
In between tournament play, LTEC club members will receive instruction from nationally-recognized curlers.
Curling is traditionally a winter sport in which curlers slide on the ice, carefully sending a polished granite stone (or rock) 150 feet to the other end of the arena, where a target consisting of three concentric rings determines who's the closest, and who grabs the points.
For information or to learn about curling, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trending In: Sports
- Snowboarder from Connecticut dies after falling into tree well at Tahoe-area resort
- How long will ski season run at Lake Tahoe resorts?
- No timeframe for permanent fix to US 50 near Bridal Veil Falls
- Water managers may have to ‘spill’ water from Lake Tahoe
- TRPA looks to free transit, shared-use pathways for traffic solutions in Lake Tahoe