Darby Reeder named Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Week
October 31, 2014
SAN FRANCISCO — Former Whittell volleyball standout Darby Reeder was named Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Week on Monday for her performance during the week of Oct. 20-26. The Oregon State defensive specialist earned the honor along with Offensive Player of the Week Inky Ajanaku and Freshman of the Week Merete Lutz — both from Stanford.
Reeder posted back-to-back 20-plus-dig performances as Oregon State split last weekend, dropping a four-set match to No. 15 Arizona before upsetting No. 18 Arizona State 3-0. The junior posted 30 digs against the Wildcats and 22 versus the Sun Devils, marking the fifth and sixth times this season she has passed the 20-dig mark in a match and giving her a digging average of 7.43 digs per set.
Reeder's 4.37 digs per set this season ranks third in the Pac-12, with her total of 345 digs leading the league. The Beavers, who were winless in conference play last year, have equaled their league-win total from two years ago (four wins) with just less than half the Pac-12 slate still left to be contested.
Stanford and Oregon State face off this Friday on the Beavers' home court. The Beavers will stay home to host California next Tuesday.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Kirkwood Mountain Resort opening today
- Lake Tahoe Community College Coyotes fall to Santa Rosa in NorCal quarterfinals
- Die-hard skiers and riders turn out for opening day at Kirkwood Mountain (videos)
- SnowSport Safety Foundation releases safety report card; California ski industry dismisses report
- New attractions set stage for 2017-18 winter at Tahoe resorts
- Carousel Estate on Lake Tahoe West Shore on market for $29.5 million (video)
- New mountain community under construction near Lake Tahoe
- Changes to South Lake Tahoe vacation home rental rules finalized
- J-1 visa program helps Lake Tahoe South Shore businesses
- Where to go in Tahoe if you don’t want to cook a Thanksgiving meal