Girls sweep weekend games
October 15, 2013
The Warriors had no trouble handling White Pine and West Wendover this past weekend.
When Whittell met both these teams on the road earlier this season and it resulted in 4-0 and 10-0 wins for the Warriors. The home rematches produced similar results Friday and Saturday. Whittell picked up its Friday game against West Wendover 7-1 and its Saturday game against White Pine 4-1. The Warriors improved to 8-1 in league and 11-1-1 overall with the weekend wins.
Whittell 7, West Wendover 1
The Warriors jumped out to a 5-1 lead in the first quarter.
Whittell's offensive attack was led by senior Jenny Shepack and freshman Allison Copsy. Shepack netted one goal and contributed two assists. Copsy led the team with two goals and one assist.
Gisselle Benitez, Gigi Stetler, Danica Bunnett and Mikayla Warner all added goals to the win. Skylar Smith and Stetler each added an assist.
Smith, at center-back, and goalkeeper Kendal Ferris limited West Wendover to one goal.
Whittell 4, White Pine 1
It took Whittell the first half to warm up Saturday, but once the Warriors got going they cruised to a 4-1 win.
White Pine had a 1-0 lead at halftime, but Whittell came out strong in the second half to net four goals in the final 40 minutes.
Copsy and Kenya Maltase led the comeback with two goals and one assist apiece. Shepack recorded two assists.
Ferris recorded three saves to hold White Pine its first-half goal.
UP NEXT: Whittell played Fernley Tuesday,. The girls will play South Tahoe Thursday and Battle Mountain at home Friday.
Trending In: Sports
- Which Lake Tahoe golf courses are open for play?
- Lake Tahoe ascends as rock climbing destination
- Hike around Lake Tahoe: Most backcountry trails still covered with ‘a lot of snow’
- South Tahoe softball ends season at NIAA 3A regional tournament
- Whittell, South Tahoe track teams to compete at NIAA state tournament
- Lake Tahoe water board orders further study, cleanup of contaminated groundwater
- Reforestation begins after Emerald Fire; cause of burn released
- 2 found dead in plane wreckage under snow in California
- Ribaudo column: Housing in Tahoe — ‘like a bad toothache that doesn’t go away’
- Motorist airlifted to hospital after going over side of Kingsbury Grade