Girls sweep weekend games
October 15, 2013
The Warriors had no trouble handling White Pine and West Wendover this past weekend.
When Whittell met both these teams on the road earlier this season and it resulted in 4-0 and 10-0 wins for the Warriors. The home rematches produced similar results Friday and Saturday. Whittell picked up its Friday game against West Wendover 7-1 and its Saturday game against White Pine 4-1. The Warriors improved to 8-1 in league and 11-1-1 overall with the weekend wins.
Whittell 7, West Wendover 1
The Warriors jumped out to a 5-1 lead in the first quarter.
Whittell’s offensive attack was led by senior Jenny Shepack and freshman Allison Copsy. Shepack netted one goal and contributed two assists. Copsy led the team with two goals and one assist.
Gisselle Benitez, Gigi Stetler, Danica Bunnett and Mikayla Warner all added goals to the win. Skylar Smith and Stetler each added an assist.
Smith, at center-back, and goalkeeper Kendal Ferris limited West Wendover to one goal.
Whittell 4, White Pine 1
It took Whittell the first half to warm up Saturday, but once the Warriors got going they cruised to a 4-1 win.
White Pine had a 1-0 lead at halftime, but Whittell came out strong in the second half to net four goals in the final 40 minutes.
Copsy and Kenya Maltase led the comeback with two goals and one assist apiece. Shepack recorded two assists.
Ferris recorded three saves to hold White Pine its first-half goal.
UP NEXT: Whittell played Fernley Tuesday,. The girls will play South Tahoe Thursday and Battle Mountain at home Friday.
Trending In: Sports
- South Tahoe football edged by Truckee 21-20 in high-stakes Sierra Bowl
- South Tahoe girls soccer falls behind early, loses 3-2 to rival Truckee under the lights
- South Tahoe volleyball swept by Dayton at home (photos)
- TAMBA’s Corral Night Ride brings costumed fun to South Shore trails Saturday
- Tahoe Mountain Milers’ Kokanee, Kirkwood Trail Runs offer challenging courses, benefit local community