Grand, Roberts advance in tennis regionals
October 16, 2008
David Grand, the No. 6 seed from the Sierra League, cruised to a 6-0, 6-0 singles victory in the first round of the Northern 4A regional tennis tournament on Thursday at Carson High School in Carson City.
“That was a walkever, not really much to report there,” said STHS coach Justin Clark. “David isn’t supposed to win the next match, but I think he can win it.”
Grand, who improves to 20-5 on the season, faces McQueen’s Joey Saarem, the No. 3 seed from the High Desert League, in a second-round match on Friday at 11 a.m. in Carson City. The semifinals and finals are Saturday.
Saarem defeated South Tahoe’s Cameron Chase 6-0, 6-2 in another first-round match on Thursday.
“Cameron played his best match of the season,” Clark said. “He was close in every game, though the score doesn’t show it. His tennis is getting better. Unfortunately he is out of the tournament, but I am looking forward to better things from him next year.”
In the girls’ regional tournament at Centennial Park in Carson City, South Tahoe’s Rebecca Roberts won 6-7 (5), 6-2, 6-2 in a first-round match and will face top-seeded Amelia Ritger of Douglas on Friday at 11 a.m. in the second round. The Vikings’ Jenny Wiseman and Alyssa Mlynsky both lost their first-round matches.
Recommended Stories For You
The first round of the regional doubles tournament begins on Friday. The STHS boys doubles teams of Derek Garafalos and Phillip Gaston and Nick Kushner and Jordan Zager both play first-round matches at 8 a.m. at Carson High.
The STHS girls’ teams of Savannah Cherry and Lindsey Buchanan, Hannah Kropf and Amanda Rives and Mariella Penollar and Guadalupe Ramirez have first-round matches starting at 8 a.m. at Centennial Park.
The second round and quarterfinals are on Friday, with the semifinals and finals scheduled for Saturday at Carson High.
The Whittell girls’ JV soccer team tied the Loyalton 5-5 on Thursday at Whittell High School in Zephyr Cove. In the boys’ match, the Warriors JV squad defeated Loyalton’s varsity 5-1.
The Whittell varsity soccer teams play their homecoming games on Friday against Spring Creek. The girls play at 2 p.m., the boys at 4 p.m.
STHS’s volleyball team lost to Manogue 26-24, 25-18, 25-5 in a Sierra Division volleyball match Thursday in Reno.
The Vikings received seven kills by Chelsea Madsen, eight digs by Kasey Roberts and four kills by Caroline Baghdikian.
Whittell High School is looking for a boys’ track and field coach. Interested candidates should contact Steve Maltase, the school’s athletic director, at (775) 588-2446.
– Tribune Sports Editor Steve Yingling contributed to this story.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Kirkwood Mountain Resort opening today
- Lake Tahoe Community College Coyotes fall to Santa Rosa in NorCal quarterfinals
- SnowSport Safety Foundation releases safety report card; California ski industry dismisses report
- New attractions set stage for 2017-18 winter at Tahoe resorts
- Heavenly, Northstar push back opening days to Nov. 23; Kirkwood to announce new date
- Carousel Estate on Lake Tahoe West Shore on market for $29.5 million (video)
- New mountain community under construction near Lake Tahoe
- Changes to South Lake Tahoe vacation home rental rules finalized
- J-1 visa program helps Lake Tahoe South Shore businesses
- Where to go in Tahoe if you don’t want to cook a Thanksgiving meal