Lake Tahoe CC men’s soccer upsets defending state champ
September 3, 2014
The Lake Tahoe Community College men’s soccer team enjoyed a big debut Friday by knocking off host-Hartnell 1-0 at the Hartnell Tournament in Salinas, Calif.
Center midfielder Soren Gelbrecht’s first-half goal was the difference as the Coyotes knocked off the defending California community college state champion.
“We turned a lot of heads,” Coyotes coach Ben Wade said. “Everybody was expecting us to lose because we’re a first-year team. But it doesn’t matter to me, first year or 18th year, which is how many years I’ve been coaching, we’re here to win.”
The Coyotes are scheduled to make their home debut on Sept. 12 when they host the Lake Tahoe Tournament. West Valley and Fresno City are playing in the one-day event at Lake Tahoe Community College in South Lake Tahoe.
The Lake Tahoe school’s women, coached by Chris DeLeon, opened Thursday with a 3-0 loss to Diablo Valley College and then tied Chabot College 2-2 on Friday. The Coyotes play their home opener on Sept. 11 against Yuba College.
Trending In: Sports
- Anthony Gentile: One last story before the buzzer sounds (column)
- South Tahoe boys b-ball runs past Fernley 72-53, wins 3A Northern League debut
- South Tahoe wrestling enters 2016-17 season full of confidence, led by defending state champion Herrera
- Sports Roundup: South Tahoe, Whittell basketball teams hit the court for preseason tournaments
- South Tahoe boys b-ball aims to contend for league title in 2016-17 season behind talent and experience