Lake Tahoe CC men’s soccer upsets defending state champ
September 3, 2014
The Lake Tahoe Community College men's soccer team enjoyed a big debut Friday by knocking off host-Hartnell 1-0 at the Hartnell Tournament in Salinas, Calif.
Center midfielder Soren Gelbrecht's first-half goal was the difference as the Coyotes knocked off the defending California community college state champion.
"We turned a lot of heads," Coyotes coach Ben Wade said. "Everybody was expecting us to lose because we're a first-year team. But it doesn't matter to me, first year or 18th year, which is how many years I've been coaching, we're here to win."
The Coyotes are scheduled to make their home debut on Sept. 12 when they host the Lake Tahoe Tournament. West Valley and Fresno City are playing in the one-day event at Lake Tahoe Community College in South Lake Tahoe.
The Lake Tahoe school's women, coached by Chris DeLeon, opened Thursday with a 3-0 loss to Diablo Valley College and then tied Chabot College 2-2 on Friday. The Coyotes play their home opener on Sept. 11 against Yuba College.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Heavenly’s Epic Discovery program: Ultimate outdoor summer playground at Lake Tahoe (video)
- Still mixed conditions on some Lake Tahoe trails following big winter, mild spring
- Steph Curry joins list of celebrities playing in American Century Championship at Lake Tahoe
- Justin Timberlake to compete in 2017 Lake Tahoe ACC celebrity golf tournament
- LAX at the Lake lacrosse tournament empowers girls through sports
- Lake Tahoe kayaker recounts near-death experience in Upper Truckee River
- Edgewood Tahoe celebrates completion of $100M lodge
- Parking restrictions beefed up at Raley’s Village Center
- 5 things to know about the proposed South Lake Tahoe sales tax for roads
- Minden woman who died after falling in Upper Truckee River remembered at celebration of life