Lake Tahoe CC men’s soccer upsets defending state champ
Ryan Summerlin September 3, 2014
The Lake Tahoe Community College men’s soccer team enjoyed a big debut Friday by knocking off host-Hartnell 1-0 at the Hartnell Tournament in Salinas, Calif.
Center midfielder Soren Gelbrecht’s first-half goal was the difference as the Coyotes knocked off the defending California community college state champion.
“We turned a lot of heads,” Coyotes coach Ben Wade said. “Everybody was expecting us to lose because we’re a first-year team. But it doesn’t matter to me, first year or 18th year, which is how many years I’ve been coaching, we’re here to win.”
The Coyotes are scheduled to make their home debut on Sept. 12 when they host the Lake Tahoe Tournament. West Valley and Fresno City are playing in the one-day event at Lake Tahoe Community College in South Lake Tahoe.
The Lake Tahoe school’s women, coached by Chris DeLeon, opened Thursday with a 3-0 loss to Diablo Valley College and then tied Chabot College 2-2 on Friday. The Coyotes play their home opener on Sept. 11 against Yuba College.
Trending In: Sports
- Take a hike: A scenic jaunt to Lake Margaret is well worth the work (watch the video)
- South Tahoe girls soccer blanks Elko, Spring Creek, delivers first shutouts of season
- South Tahoe football beats Lowry 44-6, stays healthy while winning third straight
- MedWAR takes on Tahoe: Physical challenges, medical scenarios play out in inaugural event
- Sports Roundup: South Tahoe volleyball wins fifth straight, Whittell girls soccer blanks Yerington, South Tahoe boys tennis still unbeaten
- Collin still committed to South Lake Tahoe council candidacy after fatal wreck
- Letter: BEAR League board member says, ‘We are not making this up’
- Five injured in car accident down Kingsbury Grade Friday; city council candidate and wife confirmed as two of injured
- Tahoe Keys to apply for herbicide trial in effort to fight aquatic invasive species
- Membership-based airline expands service to and from Truckee Tahoe Airport