Local soccer players fare well in tournament
April 15, 2014
Ahlyssa Jordan Gonzalez and Haley Johnson of South Lake Tahoe played in the Comstock Shootout Tournament this past weekend with the Carson Valley United soccer team.
CV United, in its first in the regular season, came out with confidence in the U-14 age group beating teams from Northern California and Idaho.
In game one, CV United beat Black Nova 3-1 with two goals from Sedona Robinson and one from Maya Smith. Game two was a 3-1 loss against Pacific Storm. Peri Buck scored the lone goal for CV United. In the semifinal game against Soccer Express Team Heat, Sedona Robinson and Maya Smith both tallied two goals to send CV United into the championship game.
In the final game United's defense never let up and held on for the shut out as the game ended in a 1-0 United victory. Jordan Gonzalez, who attends South Tahoe Middle School, scored the winning goal in the first half.
The team wants to recognize coaches, Jeremy Weston, Tim Smith, Freddy Gonzalez and all the parents of CV United, who know what it takes to make a team.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Heavenly’s Epic Discovery program: Ultimate outdoor summer playground at Lake Tahoe (video)
- Stand up pedalboards making waves around Lake Tahoe
- Still mixed conditions on some Lake Tahoe trails following big winter, mild spring
- Steph Curry joins list of celebrities playing in American Century Championship at Lake Tahoe
- LAX at the Lake lacrosse tournament empowers girls through sports
- Lake Tahoe kayaker recounts near-death experience in Upper Truckee River
- Parking restrictions beefed up at Raley’s Village Center
- Edgewood Tahoe celebrates completion of $100M lodge
- Revisiting Angora Fire 10 years after devastating blaze ignited in Lake Tahoe
- New university center to bring more 4-year degrees to Lake Tahoe Community College