Local soccer players fare well in tournament
April 15, 2014
Ahlyssa Jordan Gonzalez and Haley Johnson of South Lake Tahoe played in the Comstock Shootout Tournament this past weekend with the Carson Valley United soccer team.
CV United, in its first in the regular season, came out with confidence in the U-14 age group beating teams from Northern California and Idaho.
In game one, CV United beat Black Nova 3-1 with two goals from Sedona Robinson and one from Maya Smith. Game two was a 3-1 loss against Pacific Storm. Peri Buck scored the lone goal for CV United. In the semifinal game against Soccer Express Team Heat, Sedona Robinson and Maya Smith both tallied two goals to send CV United into the championship game.
In the final game United’s defense never let up and held on for the shut out as the game ended in a 1-0 United victory. Jordan Gonzalez, who attends South Tahoe Middle School, scored the winning goal in the first half.
The team wants to recognize coaches, Jeremy Weston, Tim Smith, Freddy Gonzalez and all the parents of CV United, who know what it takes to make a team.
Trending In: Sports
- Biking boost: South Lake Tahoe awarded silver designation as Bicycle Friendly Community, trending in positive direction
- Queen of the halfpipe: South Lake Tahoe native Maddie Bowman dominates the competition on skis — and loves her craft
- On the rebound: South Tahoe girls b-ball looks to bounce back in 2016-17 season
- Warm up, cool down: Add a routine before and after a day on the mountain for a long, healthy season in the snow
- Sierra-at-Tahoe Resort expands learning terrain, revamps menu, bids water bottles farewell for 2016-17 season
- ‘Ninja road stars’ piercing tires in South Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe supporters of Standing Rock host benefit concert; Washoe elders to speak
- Police seeking assistance with hit and run outside Harveys Lake Tahoe
- In the après-ski spirit: Spots to check out after skiing in the Tahoe Basin
- Stay ‘bear aware’ during winter in the Lake Tahoe region