Local soccer players fare well in tournament
April 15, 2014
Ahlyssa Jordan Gonzalez and Haley Johnson of South Lake Tahoe played in the Comstock Shootout Tournament this past weekend with the Carson Valley United soccer team.
CV United, in its first in the regular season, came out with confidence in the U-14 age group beating teams from Northern California and Idaho.
In game one, CV United beat Black Nova 3-1 with two goals from Sedona Robinson and one from Maya Smith. Game two was a 3-1 loss against Pacific Storm. Peri Buck scored the lone goal for CV United. In the semifinal game against Soccer Express Team Heat, Sedona Robinson and Maya Smith both tallied two goals to send CV United into the championship game.
In the final game United's defense never let up and held on for the shut out as the game ended in a 1-0 United victory. Jordan Gonzalez, who attends South Tahoe Middle School, scored the winning goal in the first half.
The team wants to recognize coaches, Jeremy Weston, Tim Smith, Freddy Gonzalez and all the parents of CV United, who know what it takes to make a team.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- ACC celebrity golf tournament breaks attendance record
- Laser National Championships sail into Lake Tahoe
- Wanderlust: World’s largest yoga festival returns to Squaw Valley July 20-23
- South Lake Tahoe swim coach retires after 46 years
- Photos: Curry, Timberlake and Romo draw big crowds on final day of American Century Championship
- Smoke from Mariposa County fire continues to fill Tahoe Basin (video)
- Mariposa County fire in California threatens 1,500 structures near Yosemite
- Tahoe Keys Marina without running water as dispute over bills continues
- Sierra homeowners are losing coverage because of surrounding brush, trees
- Vietnam vet retires from Tahoe Safeway after 46 years — and never missed a day of work