Brewer blasts two homers in Sparks doubleheader split
April 11, 2013
Brianna Brewer’s first home run was just what the Warriors were looking for in a one-run ballgame.
But Brewer went on to blast two fence-clearing bombs as the Whittell softball team split a doubleheader at Sparks High School this past weekend. The Warriors squeaked out a 5-4 win in the first game before dropping the nightcap 19-11.
Brewer’s first shot in Game 1 was a fence-clearing line drive to right-center. The blast never rose more than 25 feet off the ground. Brewer went 3-for-4 in the first game with a home run and double. She knocked in three of the Warrior’s five runs.
Emily Harris added a double to the offensive effort, and pitcher Amanda Harris kept the Warriors field time to a minimum. She tossed eight innings for the win, struck out seven and held Sparks to four runs.
Sparks jumped out to an early 2-0 lead, but the Warriors knotted the score at 3-3 in the seventh. Whittell outscored sparks 2-1 in the eighth inning to lock up the win.
In the second game, Amanda and Brewer went to work again.
Amanda was on the mound, and Brewer turned in another stellar plate performance. She smashed her second home run of the day, a shot that towered over the left-center fence.
Whittell was leading 2-1 after the first, but it was short lived. Sparks put up a seven-run second inning to make the score 8-2.
The Warriors surged back in the third with a six-run inning of their own, making it an 8-8 ballgame. The Warriors added three more in the fourth to regain an 11-8 lead, but Sparks started chipping away, steadily adding runs for a 19-4 win.
Emily went 3-for-4 with a double and two RBIs. Amanda, Brewer, Elizabeth Anderson and Nicki Simon each batted in two runs. Anderson and Katie Besson clocked doubles, and Kendall Ferris added two hits for an RBI.
UP NEXT: The Warriors (10-8, 2-2) will host a doubleheader against Truckee (3-11, 2-5) at 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. on Saturday at Whittell High School.
Trending In: Local Sports
- State champions: South Tahoe All-Stars beat Summerlin North, claim Little League Intermediate 50/70 Division Nevada crown
- Los Angeles Jr. Kings hockey teams drop the puck for training camp in South Lake Tahoe
- South Tahoe All-Stars swept at Babe Ruth 14-year-old regional tournament
- Sunzeri named athletic director at South Tahoe High
- Football careers carry on for two Vikings
- ‘Ninja road stars’ piercing tires in South Lake Tahoe
- Underwater photographer captures clarity of Lake Tahoe
- South Shore’s The Lake House Restaurant opens its doors
- South Shore community comes together for 23-year-old fighting cancer
- Free pet adoptions at El Dorado County animal shelters during December