Brewer blasts two homers in Sparks doubleheader split
April 11, 2013
Brianna Brewer's first home run was just what the Warriors were looking for in a one-run ballgame.
But Brewer went on to blast two fence-clearing bombs as the Whittell softball team split a doubleheader at Sparks High School this past weekend. The Warriors squeaked out a 5-4 win in the first game before dropping the nightcap 19-11.
Brewer's first shot in Game 1 was a fence-clearing line drive to right-center. The blast never rose more than 25 feet off the ground. Brewer went 3-for-4 in the first game with a home run and double. She knocked in three of the Warrior's five runs.
Emily Harris added a double to the offensive effort, and pitcher Amanda Harris kept the Warriors field time to a minimum. She tossed eight innings for the win, struck out seven and held Sparks to four runs.
Sparks jumped out to an early 2-0 lead, but the Warriors knotted the score at 3-3 in the seventh. Whittell outscored sparks 2-1 in the eighth inning to lock up the win.
In the second game, Amanda and Brewer went to work again.
Amanda was on the mound, and Brewer turned in another stellar plate performance. She smashed her second home run of the day, a shot that towered over the left-center fence.
Whittell was leading 2-1 after the first, but it was short lived. Sparks put up a seven-run second inning to make the score 8-2.
The Warriors surged back in the third with a six-run inning of their own, making it an 8-8 ballgame. The Warriors added three more in the fourth to regain an 11-8 lead, but Sparks started chipping away, steadily adding runs for a 19-4 win.
Emily went 3-for-4 with a double and two RBIs. Amanda, Brewer, Elizabeth Anderson and Nicki Simon each batted in two runs. Anderson and Katie Besson clocked doubles, and Kendall Ferris added two hits for an RBI.
UP NEXT: The Warriors (10-8, 2-2) will host a doubleheader against Truckee (3-11, 2-5) at 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. on Saturday at Whittell High School.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local Sports
- American Century Championship reveals 2016 lineup; celebrity golf tournament returns to Edgewood Tahoe in July
- Beach battles: South Tahoe Beach Wrestling Championships return to Lakeview Commons for second edition, doubles in size
- Tahoe Training Camps brings high-level soccer to the region, locals hit the pitch during South Lake Tahoe camp
- Aces low: Whittell baseball falls to cross-lake foe Incline 14-4 at Greater Nevada Field
- Forward strides: Wallace off and running with new prosthesis from Amputee Blade Runners
- Smoke from Mariposa County fire continues to fill Tahoe Basin (video)
- Tahoe Keys Marina without running water as dispute over bills continues
- Mariposa County fire in California threatens 1,500 structures near Yosemite
- Carson City bypass ready for debut; residents to ride, run, walk final stretch of freeway Saturday
- Lake Tahoe Basin under air quality alert, dense smoke advisory as fire rages near Yosemite