Defense leads freshmen to victory
Ryan Summerlin September 20, 2013
South Tahoe 14,6,6,8—34
The South Tahoe freshmen football team traveled four hours to Winnemucca, Nev., to face the Lowry Buckaroos on Thursday Night.
The Vikings came home with a 34-14 victory behind a strong defense that forced three fumbles and two interceptions. A strong offensive line also contributed to the win, springing running backs Jacob Bernal and Noah Jackson.
Quarterback Tommy Cefalu threw for more than 150 yards and one touchdown to wide receiver Jake Miller. Jacob Bernal scored three touchdowns on runs and Noah Jackson took a handoff, cutback against an aggressive blitz and raced down the sideline for a 45-yard touchdown run.
UP NEXT: The Vikings’ freshman take their two game winning streak (2-1) into a game on Thursday night in Reno versus Wooster High School.
Trending In: Local Sports
- State champions: South Tahoe All-Stars beat Summerlin North, claim Little League Intermediate 50/70 Division Nevada crown
- South Tahoe football beats Lowry 44-6, stays healthy while winning third straight
- South Tahoe girls soccer blanks Elko, Spring Creek, delivers first shutouts of season
- South Tahoe football stuns Fernley in home debut, wins despite key absences
- Slow start costs Whittell football in 36-30 loss to Virginia City
- Collin still committed to South Lake Tahoe council candidacy after fatal wreck
- Letter: BEAR League board member says, ‘We are not making this up’
- Five injured in car accident down Kingsbury Grade Friday; city council candidate and wife confirmed as two of injured
- Tahoe Keys to apply for herbicide trial in effort to fight aquatic invasive species
- Membership-based airline expands service to and from Truckee Tahoe Airport