Derby Dames host season opener
May 17, 2013
May 18 vs. Grim Reap-Hers, 4 p.m.
June 8 vs. Scrimmage with Flood Water Roller Derby, 4 p.m.
June 29 vs. Rollin Roulettes, 4 p.m.
July 20 vs. Shasta Roller Derby, 4 p.m.
August 24th: Second Annual Deep Blue Derby Tournament
Vs. Sac City Roller Girls and Inland Empire
*All home bouts will be held at Bijou Community Park. Gates usually open at 3 p.m. and folding chairs are encouraged.
Girls with attitude in altitude — you don't have to be crazy, but it helps.
At least that's what the Tahoe Derby Dames' moto says.
Mix one part crazy, two parts fun, add some costumes, roller skates and hard hitters and this Saturday's home opener is a must see. The Tahoe Derby Dames will take on Merced's Grim Reap-Hers in the first home bout of the 2013 season.
The action starts at 4 p.m., with gates at 3 p.m., on Saturday at the Bijou Community Park. The derby track is located next to the skate park. Bouts usually last less than two hours.
"Last season and prior, we always started at 6 p.m., but now it's going to be a 4 p.m. start," said Derby Dame's Sara Jackman aka Shamegirl. "We're really excited to get reacquainted with the community and there should be nice weather out there."
Jackman said the bouts are family friendly with face painting, coloring and a halftime show that will involve the audience. There will also be raffle tickets, including items such as a one-night stay at 968 Park Hotel, and merchandise available. The snack bar will be open as well.
There is bleacher seating at the track, but spectators are encouraged to bring their own folding chairs. Bleacher seats tend to fill up quickly.
Tickets cost $10, and children 5 and younger are free. Tickets are also free with a military ID.
On Sunday, and all Sunday's following home bouts, the Derby Dames will host open black and white scrimmages. Registration starts at 11:30 a.m., and the number of skaters will determine the number of bouts.
All skaters who wish to register must have usars and have already passed their minimum skills test. The Dames also ask that skaters bring a black and white shirt with their name and number clearly displayed.
Scrimmage days will be May 19, June 30, June 21 with a special scrimmage on Saturday, May 26 from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. Registration costs $5 per skater.
Refs and NSO are needed for these scrimmages. For more information contact email@example.com or find the Derby Dames on facebook.
Trending In: Local Sports
- Beach battles: South Tahoe Beach Wrestling Championships return to Lakeview Commons for second edition, doubles in size
- 2013 Banked Slalom Results
- Beach volleyball tourney to hit Zephyr Cove
- Breaking the ice: South Lake Tahoe Vikings hockey delivers Northern California championship a decade in the making
- Community rallies around wrestling coach
- Vail Resorts extends ski season at Lake Tahoe resorts
- Snowboarder from Connecticut dies after falling into tree well at Tahoe-area resort
- Water managers may have to ‘spill’ water from Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe weather: Storm winds down after dumping 2 feet of snow in 24 hours
- Drivers unlikely to be reimbursed for pothole damage