Elko, Spring Creek defeat Lady Vikings
February 4, 2014
South Tahoe's Lady Vikings led a league-leading Elko for one quarter of play on Friday, but then watched the visiting Lady Indians outpace them for a 48-28 league win.
"We had some turnovers. We couldn't make a free throw it seemed like in that second quarter and it slipped away from there," said South Tahoe coach Michael Neiger.
Elko (15-3, 11-1) led 30-14 at halftime and 39-22 at the end of the third quarter.
Hannah Neiger led the Lady Vikings' offense with 12 points. Ally King and Jordyn Dion each scored six and Bailey Barcellos and Riley Chapman each scored two.
Playing at home on Saturday, the Lady Vikings lost 43-33 to Spring Creek (14-10, 10-2).
South Tahoe led through the first half but the Spartans took a 31-23 lead in the third quarter.
South Tahoe shot just 13 for 29 from the free throw line. "There's your game, in my opinion," Neiger said.
The two league losses leave South Tahoe (5-14, 4-8) in sixth place in IA Northern League standings. Only the top four teams advance to the postseason.
"We're on the outside looking in, but we still have (four) games left and we're going to go for it," Neiger said.
Trending In: Local Sports
- Bear activity picking up around Lake Tahoe; people urged to be ‘bear aware’
- Gas explosion at Kirkwood Mountain
- Indian restaurant hidden in a liquor store gains following in South Lake Tahoe
- Marina fee increase forces cancellation of 2017 South Tahoe Wooden Boat Classic
- Lake Tahoe weather: Winter weather advisory in effect through Saturday morning