Encore: Gibby repeats 16K gem
March 21, 2013
Cody Gibson's mastery of Mineral County hitters picked up right where it left off Wednesday afternoon.
Whittell's southpaw again whiffed 16 Serpents leading the Warriors to an 8-0 shutout in their home opener at Lampe Park. Gibby twirled a three-hitter, allowing just one walk. He struck out the side three times and retired the side on seven pitches in the first inning.
Westerly afternoon breezes usually neutralize a left-hander's natural curve that breaks into a right-handed hitter. But the swirling Lampe winds seemed to help the lefty's curve, enhancing its vertical 12-6 motion. Gibby seemed right at home with Lampe's high mound, too, dubbed "Mount Lampe" during between-inning banter by the home plate umpire. The combination made the Warriors' senior nearly untouchable.
Alex Barnes left the game in the fourth inning with an injury, but the Warriors played shorthanded, using only two outfielders to finish the game. It hardly mattered, as Gibby hunkered down and Mineral County mustered just a couple hits to the outfield from that point on.
Mineral County's starter, lefty Matt Blazewick, also mesmerized Whittell hitters early, striking out four Warriors. But control problems forced him to give way in the second. By then, the red and gold led 6-0 and the game was in hand.
Serpent reliever Tanner Owens pitched well enough to win on most days, striking out seven, allowing only three hits and retiring nine in a row during one stretch.
For Whittell, Quinn Kixmiller and Matt Elliott had two hits each. Elliott and Gibson chipped in with RBIs. Jake Sharp, Chris Evans and Elliott scored twice each. Kixmiller and Cody Dangtongdee also tallied for the Warriors.
UP NEXT: A Saturday doubleheader versus South Tahoe at Lampe Park. Game times 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.
Mineral County 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 — 0
Whittell 1 5 0 0 0 2 x — 8
Trending In: Local Sports
- Beach battles: South Tahoe Beach Wrestling Championships return to Lakeview Commons for second edition, doubles in size
- Whittell advances to state tournament
- Spring ball: South Lake Tahoe youth team competes in Excel Athletics tackle football league
- Breaking the ice: South Lake Tahoe Vikings hockey delivers Northern California championship a decade in the making
- Community rallies around wrestling coach
- Snowboarder from Connecticut dies after falling into tree well at Tahoe-area resort
- How long will ski season run at Lake Tahoe resorts?
- No timeframe for permanent fix to US 50 near Bridal Veil Falls
- Water managers may have to ‘spill’ water from Lake Tahoe
- TRPA looks to free transit, shared-use pathways for traffic solutions in Lake Tahoe