Forvilly, Waite earn 8 medals at state
Ryan Summerlin May 21, 2013
Whittell Division III state results
3. *Mark Waite 52.73
1. *Mark Waite 2:00.17
2. *Mark Waite 4:37.05
3. Mark Waite 10:59.89
4. Sierra Forvilly 28.09
2. *Sierra Forvilly 1:01.12
1. Sierra Forvilly 16.49
2. Sierra Forvilly 47.24
* Denotes personal best
Top Division III Team Results
1. Yerington 138
2. The Meadows 85.5
3. White Pine 70.5
1. White Pine 125
2. The Meadows 100
3. North Tahoe 94
Simply qualifying for state would be impressive enough.
Whittell track runners Sierra Forvilly and Mark Waite are coming from a school of about 150, but despite the odds, the two speedy Warriors took home medals in every event they competed in at the Division III track state championships in Las Vegas this past weekend.
Forvilly, a senior, and Waite, a junior, picked up one gold medal apiece at state. Both Forvilly and Waite qualified for the maximum number of individual events, four, and both runners medaled in all four of their events.
Waite took first in the 800 meters, coming in at 2:00:17 for a new personal record. It was good enough for gold, and also good enough to make Waite the fastest 800-meter Division III runner this season.
Waite also set a personal record with a one-mile time of 4:37 for second place. He took third in the two-mile, coming in under the 11-minute mark, and third in the 400 with a new personal record of 52:73.
Since the start of the season, Waite has shaved 15 seconds off his 800-meter time and 32 seconds off his one-mile time.
Forvilly took first in the 100-meter hurdles, an event she holds the season state record in, with a 15:88. She also ran to second place in the 300 hurdles (47.24) and the 400 meters. Her 400-meter time of 1:01.12 was a new personal record.
Since the start of the season, Forvilly has cut more than one second off her 100-hurdle time and more than two seconds off her 300-hurdle time.
Trending In: Local Sports
- South Tahoe girls soccer blanks Elko, Spring Creek, delivers first shutouts of season
- South Tahoe football beats Lowry 44-6, stays healthy while winning third straight
- State champions: South Tahoe All-Stars beat Summerlin North, claim Little League Intermediate 50/70 Division Nevada crown
- Slow start costs Whittell football in 36-30 loss to Virginia City
- Success in strength: New Viking Strength and Conditioning Center offers cutting-edge tool for South Tahoe athletics
- Collin still committed to South Lake Tahoe council candidacy after fatal wreck
- Letter: BEAR League board member says, ‘We are not making this up’
- Tahoe Keys to apply for herbicide trial in effort to fight aquatic invasive species
- My view: Nevada vs. California mentality undermines community (opinion)
- Membership-based airline expands service to and from Truckee Tahoe Airport