Lady Vikings cruise past Wooster
December 17, 2013
South Tahoe struck early. With their fast-paced offense, the Lady Vikings took an early double-digit lead over visiting Wooster and never slowed up in a lopsided 48-28 win Thursday.
Headed into the game, South Tahoe was coming off a season-opening loss to Incline Village the week before and gearing up for a Friday night showdown with cross-lake rival Truckee to start league play.
"That was our first live action. Lots of turnovers, just not quite knowing the system yet," coach Mike Neiger said of the Lady Vikings' loss to Incline Village.
"Today was better. We took much better care of the ball and moved the ball," he said. "We created a lot of open shots. We pushed the ball up the floor for early offensive opportunities."
South Tahoe opened the game with a 10-0 run against the Wooster Colts. Ally King scored seven of those first quarter points. The Lady Vikings closed out the first quarter with a 15-7 lead and were up 26-13 at halftime.
The second half was more of the same. South Tahoe (1-1) continued to drive the ball down court to keep Wooster's defense either on its heels or playing catch-up, or just out-muscled the Colts down low.
Recommended Stories For You
Offensively, Wooster (2-4) could never get enough traction to dent South Tahoe's double-digit lead.
"This week I preached the first period and third period as important parts of the game because you don't want to come out flat to start," Neiger said. "You need to set the tone and we did that."
Three of South Tahoe's last four meetings with Wooster went into overtime. "So today was a pleasant surprise," Neiger said.
Riley Chapman scored 11 points and grabbed 10 rebounds for South Tahoe. Hannah Neiger scored nine points and had eight rebounds. Junior guard Jordyn Dion scored seven points and Kaila Griffis scored four.
South Tahoe's junior varsity girls defeated Wooster 36-8.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local Sports
- Four Lake Tahoe CC women’s soccer local products sign with NAIA programs; Carroll inks with Martin Methodist
- South Lake Tahoe Recreation hosts Pickleball open house Saturday
- AYSO Swarm U-10 girls soccer finishes season at Western State Championships
- Los Angeles Jr. Kings hockey teams drop the puck for training camp in South Lake Tahoe
- American Century Championship reveals 2016 lineup; celebrity golf tournament returns to Edgewood Tahoe in July
- Ask Tessie: How do I meet a responsible man in Tahoe?
- Former and current Tahoe residents impacted by Northern California fires
- Construction begins on Round Hill Pines Beach Resort
- Where to view fall foliage — then grab a bite — in Lake Tahoe (video)
- Gardnerville man killed in head-on collision near Red Lake