Lady Vikings cruise past Wooster
December 17, 2013
South Tahoe struck early. With their fast-paced offense, the Lady Vikings took an early double-digit lead over visiting Wooster and never slowed up in a lopsided 48-28 win Thursday.
Headed into the game, South Tahoe was coming off a season-opening loss to Incline Village the week before and gearing up for a Friday night showdown with cross-lake rival Truckee to start league play.
"That was our first live action. Lots of turnovers, just not quite knowing the system yet," coach Mike Neiger said of the Lady Vikings' loss to Incline Village.
"Today was better. We took much better care of the ball and moved the ball," he said. "We created a lot of open shots. We pushed the ball up the floor for early offensive opportunities."
South Tahoe opened the game with a 10-0 run against the Wooster Colts. Ally King scored seven of those first quarter points. The Lady Vikings closed out the first quarter with a 15-7 lead and were up 26-13 at halftime.
The second half was more of the same. South Tahoe (1-1) continued to drive the ball down court to keep Wooster's defense either on its heels or playing catch-up, or just out-muscled the Colts down low.
Offensively, Wooster (2-4) could never get enough traction to dent South Tahoe's double-digit lead.
"This week I preached the first period and third period as important parts of the game because you don't want to come out flat to start," Neiger said. "You need to set the tone and we did that."
Three of South Tahoe's last four meetings with Wooster went into overtime. "So today was a pleasant surprise," Neiger said.
Riley Chapman scored 11 points and grabbed 10 rebounds for South Tahoe. Hannah Neiger scored nine points and had eight rebounds. Junior guard Jordyn Dion scored seven points and Kaila Griffis scored four.
South Tahoe's junior varsity girls defeated Wooster 36-8.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local Sports
- South Tahoe All-Stars run table in Babe Ruth 14-year-old Nevada tournament, claim state championship
- Beach battles: South Tahoe Beach Wrestling Championships return to Lakeview Commons for second edition, doubles in size
- State champions: South Tahoe All-Stars beat Summerlin North, claim Little League Intermediate 50/70 Division Nevada crown
- A’s win South Tahoe Babe Ruth championship, beat Angels 14-2 in winner-take-all title game
- Beach volleyball tourney to hit Zephyr Cove
- Review: What’s it like riding a LimeBike in South Lake Tahoe?
- Truckee-Tahoe business owners tackle housing shortage by becoming landlords
- South Lake Tahoe resident wins Tahoe Rim Trail Endurance Run 100 mile race
- Proposed Shoreline Plan could allow 138 new piers in Lake Tahoe
- Momentum picks up in fight against invasive plants in Tahoe Keys