Lady Warriors drop game to Bulldogs
January 16, 2014
Struggling with excessive turnovers, Whittell's Lady Warriors lost a league game to visiting Smith Valley 51-28 on Saturday.
"We had 37 turnovers," Whittell coach Tom Esposito said after the game.
The Lady Warriors and the Bulldogs traded baskets throughout the first half, with the Bulldogs leading 13-12 at halftime.
But Smith Valley turned up its defensive pressure and went on a 19-4 run in the third quarter and then outscored Whittell 19-12 again in the fourth quarter to pull away for the win.
"We need to get back to the drawing board Monday morning and see if we can't break this press. Which we can. We're looking to be able to handle the pressure," Esposito said.
Zoe Bertz led Whittell in scoring with 12 points. Daria Sharon, Tori Jimenez and Gisselle Benitez each scored four. Kelsey Kjer and Iran Manzano each scored two.
Kellie Rogaczewski and Kelly O'Keefe led the Smith Valley offense in scoring with 12 points each.
The loss to Smith Valley followed a 49-17 league win on the road against Sage Ridge Friday. Bertz led the Whittell offense in that game with 15 points. Sharon scored 12.
The Lady Warriors (3-8, 1-2 IV Northern) played at Sierra Lutheran (6-6, 2-1 IV Northern) Tuesday and will return home to play Pyramid Lake (9-0, 3-0 IV Northern) Saturday.
Trending In: Local Sports
- Fresno man falls to his death at Harveys Lake Tahoe
- Former StubHub CTO to launch mental health care app based in South Lake Tahoe
- Bear activity picking up around Lake Tahoe; people urged to be ‘bear aware’
- Dine, stay and play at some of Lake Tahoe’s Alps-inspired locales
- Brutal winter at Lake Tahoe unlikely to push school year later into summer