Lady Warriors fight back to split series
April 15, 2014
The Whittell varsity softball team split a doubleheader with visiting Coleville at Zephyr Cove Park on Saturday.
The Lady Warriors dropped the first game 8-3. Sophomore Kelsey Kjer pitched a complete game with five strikeouts and six walks. She gave up 11 hits.
"Kelsey's a real trooper," said head coach Dave Galicia. "She was struggling a little bit, but worked it out. She's not used to the low strike zone."
Offensively, Jordyn Becker went 2-for-3 with a walk, Maggie Dean was 2-for-4 with an RBI and Gianna Miller was 1-for-2 with two walks and five stolen bases.
"The game started off real well. A little too many errors. I'd like to see those cut down," Galicia said. "There were little miscues on base running. I wasn't overly thrilled, but I was happy with it."
In the second game, the Lady Warriors saw the return of two key players, pitcher Madison Idso and second baseman Kendall Ferris.
"We were able to get things back to where we're comfortable," Galicia said.
Idso pitched a complete game as Whittell won 9-2. She gave up two hits, while striking out six and walking three. At the plate, Idso was 2-for-4 with a triple and two RBIs.
Miller went 2-for-3 with three RBIs and Dean was 2-for-4 with an RBI and a stolen base.
"One of the big turning points was good defense and good base running," Galicia said.
For the series, the Lady Warriors had a total of 19 runners left on base.
"That's something we really need to work on," said Galicia.
Miller leads the team in batting average and stolen bases with 24 steals on 26 attempts including Saturday's second game where she stole home.
"It's to the point where, if she gets a single, it's going to be a double. Because she's going to steal it," said Galicia.
Whittell improves to 5-4 in league and 8-5 overall. The Warriors travel to North Tahoe Wednesday to play the Lady Lakers.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local Sports
- Beach battles: South Tahoe Beach Wrestling Championships return to Lakeview Commons for second edition, doubles in size
- Beach volleyball tourney to hit Zephyr Cove
- Big BMX qualifier
- Los Angeles Jr. Kings hockey teams drop the puck for training camp in South Lake Tahoe
- Reno Aces baseball announces opening day roster, opens 2016 season Thursday at Greater Nevada Field
- Lake Tahoe kayaker recounts near-death experience in Upper Truckee River
- Stand up pedalboards making waves around Lake Tahoe
- Harrah’s, Harveys Lake Tahoe to charge for holiday, special event parking
- Revisiting Angora Fire 10 years after devastating blaze ignited in Lake Tahoe
- Edgewood Tahoe celebrates completion of $100M lodge