Lady Warriors take three out of four
March 20, 2014
Whittell softball traveled to the Yerington Preseason Tournament last weekend and came away with three wins out of four games.
"I was really happy with the way the weekend went," said Dave Galicia, head coach of the Lady Warriors.
The first game ended on a mercy rule as Whittell took down opponent Silver Stage 12-3 after senior Liz Anderson hit a walk off inside- the-park home run.
Anderson went two for two at the plate with three RBIs and also recorded a double. Senior Gianna Miller went two for two at the plate, including a triple, and freshman Eva Fuller went one for one recording a double and one RBI.
Sophomore pitcher Kelsey Kjer earned the win with two strikeouts.
In the second game against Coleville, the Lady Warriors dropped a 9-4 decision.
Kendall Ferris and Dominique Ogilvie went two for three at the plate and sophomore Daria Sharon was two for four.
On the defensive side, sophomore Jordyn Becker and freshman Eva Fuller combined for a double play. Kjer pitched four innings and recorded four strikeouts.
Saturday's first game against Lone Pine saw Whittell cruise to a 15-8 win.
Miller went two hits for three at-bats with a double and two RBIs.
Kjer was the starting pitcher getting the win with four strikeouts. At the plate, she went one for one with two walks and drove in two RBIs.
Senior Maggie Dean pitched 1.1 innings with two strikeouts and two walks.
Dean and Kjer also combined for a double play in the game.
The last game on the weekend the Lady Warriors came back from an 8-0 deficit in the second inning to win 13-12 against Smith Valley.
"We had to fight out way back and the girls stayed tough," said Galicia. "They kept their heads."
Miller went three for three at the plate with two doubles and four RBIs and two stolen bases on two attempts.
Kjer pitched a complete game and struck out three batters while walking three.
"We had some good contact during the games," said Galicia.
He said the team is "coming together" for the rest of the season and he's pleased with their aggressive base-running, though there's always room for improvement.
"There are things we'll be working on this week for this weekend's games," he said.
The Lady Warriors are hosting a double-header against Carlin High School on Saturday at Lampe Park, field four, in Gardnerville. The first game begins at 10:30 a.m. and the second at 12:30 p.m.
Trending In: Local Sports
- Beach battles: South Tahoe Beach Wrestling Championships return to Lakeview Commons for second edition, doubles in size
- 2013 Banked Slalom Results
- Beach volleyball tourney to hit Zephyr Cove
- Breaking the ice: South Lake Tahoe Vikings hockey delivers Northern California championship a decade in the making
- Community rallies around wrestling coach
- Vail Resorts extends ski season at Lake Tahoe resorts
- Snowboarder from Connecticut dies after falling into tree well at Tahoe-area resort
- Water managers may have to ‘spill’ water from Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe weather: Storm winds down after dumping 2 feet of snow in 24 hours
- Drivers unlikely to be reimbursed for pothole damage