Large Tahoe turnout for Burton Creek Trail Run
June 27, 2013
More than 350 athletes competed in Big Blue Adventure's annual Burton Creek Trail Run near Tahoe City this past Sunday.
The event featured four racing distances — a 50-kilometer, half-marathon, 12K and 6K — all held on the challenging single-track trail system within Burton Creek State Park.
Noah Brautigam of Truckee raced to a commanding victory in the 50K, as he crossed the finish line in a time of 3 hours, 52 minutes, 12 seconds. Jon Rockwood of Olympic Valley finished runner-up in 4:27:13, and James Johnson of Truckee was third in 4:28:10.
Kathleen Steinberg of Jackson claimed the women's win and was fourth overall in 4:28:23, and Rachel Barth of Incline Village placed second among women and sixth overall in 4:37:06. Caroline Barichievich of South Lake Tahoe was the third women and eighth overall in 4:49:51.
The South Shore's Ryan Weibel rounded out the top five in 4:36:33, and Alan Barichievich, also of South Lake Tahoe, rounded out the top 10, in 5:03:29.
Thirty-one people took on the Burton Creek Trail Run's longest distance.
In the half marathon, Chris Cloyd of Truckee took the narrow win ahead of Truckee's Steven Benesi, 1:34:22.23 to 1:34:23.64. Forest Kirk of Chico was third in 1:36:26. Jim Telling of Truckee was ninth in 1:39:40.
Kristin Walstad of Alta was the top woman and fourth overall in 1:36:29. Carnelian Bay's Danielle Zick was the top Tahoe-area woman, placing fourth (16th overall) in 1:48:50.
A total of 135 people competed in the half marathon.
Truckee's Jesse Stocking won the 12K run, posting a time of 56:23, while Jim Mansoor of Davis was second in 56:57 and Truckee's Kyle Rinella was third in 57:31.
Dolores Bergmann, who made the trip from Chester to race, was the top woman and fourth overall in 58:20. She was trailed by Amber Monforte of South Lake Tahoe, who was ninth overall in 1:02:28, and Amy Villaret of South Lake Tahoe, who was 11th overall in 1:05:06. The South Shore's Eder Vazquez was sixth in 1:01:38, and Truckee's Doug Rinella was 10th in 1:02:55.
There were 101 runners in the 12K.
In the 6K, Jacob Garrissere of Truckee claimed the win in a time of 25:50, while Truckee's Dylan Garrisere (27:22) and Robert Jamison (29:27) were fifth and seventh, respectively.
Jen Jones of Reno won the women's race and was eighth overall in 29:28, Maiya Greenwood of Tahoe City was the second women (14th overall) in 35:03, and Pixie Baber of Truckee was the third woman in 36:57.
Eighty-six runners competed in the 6K.
Find complete results at http://www.bigblueadventure.com.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local Sports
- Beach battles: South Tahoe Beach Wrestling Championships return to Lakeview Commons for second edition, doubles in size
- American Century Championship reveals 2016 lineup; celebrity golf tournament returns to Edgewood Tahoe in July
- Tahoe Training Camps brings high-level soccer to the region, locals hit the pitch during South Lake Tahoe camp
- Aces low: Whittell baseball falls to cross-lake foe Incline 14-4 at Greater Nevada Field
- South Tahoe softball athlete earns scholarship to play at South Dakota State University
- Smoke from Mariposa County fire continues to fill Tahoe Basin (video)
- Tahoe Keys Marina without running water as dispute over bills continues
- Carson City bypass ready for debut; residents to ride, run, walk final stretch of freeway Saturday
- Mariposa County fire in California threatens 1,500 structures near Yosemite
- Lake Tahoe Basin under air quality alert, dense smoke advisory as fire rages near Yosemite