Lowry edges out South Tahoe
December 23, 2013
South Tahoe jumped out to a quick double-digit lead over Lowry, but saw the visiting Buckaroos muscle their way back for a 63-55 league win Friday night.
"South Tahoe outplayed us for 28 minutes of the game," Lowry coach Chad Peters said after the matchup.
"They came out and played like the better team. They deserve a lot of credit and they're going to get a lot of wins up here. If they keep doing that, they're going to be a tough team to beat down the road."
South Tahoe came out running the court and Lowry couldn't keep up.
The Vikings took a crowd-rousing 19-5 lead in the first quarter. The fast-paced run was fueled by baskets by Jared Fajman, Tyler Hogbin, Harry Moses-Chakmakis and Dakoda Baca.
Baca scored 12 of his team-leading 16 points in the first half. Fajman finished the game with 14, Moses-Chakmakis with eight.
Lowry managed to slow the Vikings down in the second quarter and started chipping away at their lead. Lowry's Josh Watterson sank a 3-pointer late in the quarter to cut South Tahoe's lead to 28-20 going into halftime.
South Tahoe and Lowry traded baskets throughout the third, but Lowry continued to inch its way back into the game.
Stone Merkley, who finished the game with seven points, got a steal and scored on a fast break layup and followed that with a 3-pointer for the Vikings. Lowry was quick to respond. Watterson sank a 3-pointer at the buzzer to cut South Tahoe's lead back down to five, 39-34.
South Tahoe posted 16 more points in the fourth quarter, but that would not be enough. Lowry's offense exploded and the Buckaroos ran away with the game, hauling in rebounds, capitalizing on South Tahoe turnovers and drawing fouls to score 29 points in the quarter.
Garrett Naveran led the Buckaroos in scoring with 17 points. Watterson scored 16.
With the win over South Tahoe and a 62-34 win over Dayton on Saturday, Lowry improves its record to 10-1 overall, 2-0 I-A Northern. South Tahoe falls to 1-5 overall, 1-1 I-A Northern.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local Sports
- Beach battles: South Tahoe Beach Wrestling Championships return to Lakeview Commons for second edition, doubles in size
- South Tahoe All-Stars run table in Babe Ruth 14-year-old Nevada tournament, claim state championship
- State champions: South Tahoe All-Stars beat Summerlin North, claim Little League Intermediate 50/70 Division Nevada crown
- Truckee prevails in matchup with Lady Vikings
- Adult Flag Football looking for players
- Review: What’s it like riding a LimeBike in South Lake Tahoe?
- Lake Tahoe Basin under air quality alert, dense smoke advisory as fire rages near Yosemite
- Proposed Shoreline Plan could allow 138 new piers in Lake Tahoe
- Tahoe Chamber debuts South Shore Beer Trail
- Clearly Tahoe offers new perspective of Lake Tahoe with clear kayaks