Physical match ends on tough note
Ryan Summerlin October 10, 2013
If one word sums up South Tahoe’s soccer match against Sparks this past weekend it would be physical.
The game was probably the most physical match boys soccer coach Ben Hannah has ever been a part of in his 40 years of soccer.
“It was refereed very evenly, but loosely,” Hannah said. ““It was a good matchup. It was a really entertaining game and very, very physical.”
South Tahoe came up on the short end of that physical matchup, losing 2-1 in the final minute of extended play at Sparks High School Saturday.
The game was a back-and-forth battle for most of the 80 minutes.
Sparks scored in the first few minutes to take an immediate 1-0 lead.
But South Tahoe showed some life after the wake-up goal. The Vikings maintained the majority of possessions in the first half and the beginning of the second half.
Diego Garcia scored the Vikings’ lone goal off an assist from Austin Williams.
Defensively, Andres Orozco was the man of the match for the Vikings.
Sparks surged back, however, to dominate the last 20 minutes, and as time ticked down to the final minute the score was tied at 1-1.
“Unfortunately, we had a major injury in extended time,” Hannah said.
Vikings’ goalkeeper Kyle Hannah was injured in the final minute of that extra injury time. He came out, and Sparks capitalized on the opportunity with a go-ahead goal off a corner kick.
“They restarted the game for one play and Sparks scored on that play,” Hannah said. “It was unfortunate, but it’s part of the game.
“We’ll get them next time.”
UP NEXT: The boys beat Fallon 3-1 Thursday. Check Saturday’s edition for complete results. They will host Fernley for senior day at 1 p.m. Saturday at South Tahoe High School.
Trending In: Local Sports
- South Tahoe girls soccer blanks Elko, Spring Creek, delivers first shutouts of season
- State champions: South Tahoe All-Stars beat Summerlin North, claim Little League Intermediate 50/70 Division Nevada crown
- South Tahoe football beats Lowry 44-6, stays healthy while winning third straight
- Slow start costs Whittell football in 36-30 loss to Virginia City
- Success in strength: New Viking Strength and Conditioning Center offers cutting-edge tool for South Tahoe athletics
- South Lake Tahoe Warm Room consequences (opinion)
- Collin still committed to South Lake Tahoe council candidacy after fatal wreck
- Letter: BEAR League board member says, ‘We are not making this up’
- Tahoe Keys to apply for herbicide trial in effort to fight aquatic invasive species
- The Chateau at the Village in South Lake Tahoe sells for $42.5M