Physical match ends on tough note
October 10, 2013
If one word sums up South Tahoe’s soccer match against Sparks this past weekend it would be physical.
The game was probably the most physical match boys soccer coach Ben Hannah has ever been a part of in his 40 years of soccer.
“It was refereed very evenly, but loosely,” Hannah said. ““It was a good matchup. It was a really entertaining game and very, very physical.”
South Tahoe came up on the short end of that physical matchup, losing 2-1 in the final minute of extended play at Sparks High School Saturday.
The game was a back-and-forth battle for most of the 80 minutes.
Sparks scored in the first few minutes to take an immediate 1-0 lead.
But South Tahoe showed some life after the wake-up goal. The Vikings maintained the majority of possessions in the first half and the beginning of the second half.
Diego Garcia scored the Vikings’ lone goal off an assist from Austin Williams.
Defensively, Andres Orozco was the man of the match for the Vikings.
Sparks surged back, however, to dominate the last 20 minutes, and as time ticked down to the final minute the score was tied at 1-1.
“Unfortunately, we had a major injury in extended time,” Hannah said.
Vikings’ goalkeeper Kyle Hannah was injured in the final minute of that extra injury time. He came out, and Sparks capitalized on the opportunity with a go-ahead goal off a corner kick.
“They restarted the game for one play and Sparks scored on that play,” Hannah said. “It was unfortunate, but it’s part of the game.
“We’ll get them next time.”
UP NEXT: The boys beat Fallon 3-1 Thursday. Check Saturday’s edition for complete results. They will host Fernley for senior day at 1 p.m. Saturday at South Tahoe High School.
Trending In: Local Sports
- State champions: South Tahoe All-Stars beat Summerlin North, claim Little League Intermediate 50/70 Division Nevada crown
- South Shore b-ball players earn league awards; Whittell’s Chaplin wins Div. IV West League Player of the Year
- South Tahoe tennis teams sweep Incline, girls deliver first victory of season
- South Tahoe volleyball aims for smooth transition under new head coach Racca
- STMS boys defeat Alder Creek
- ‘Ninja road stars’ piercing tires in South Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe supporters of Standing Rock host benefit concert; Washoe elders to speak
- Police seeking assistance with hit and run outside Harveys Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe food tampering suspect caught shoplifting dog food at Raley’s last summer
- Stay ‘bear aware’ during winter in the Lake Tahoe region