Physical match ends on tough note
October 10, 2013
If one word sums up South Tahoe's soccer match against Sparks this past weekend it would be physical.
The game was probably the most physical match boys soccer coach Ben Hannah has ever been a part of in his 40 years of soccer.
"It was refereed very evenly, but loosely," Hannah said. ""It was a good matchup. It was a really entertaining game and very, very physical."
South Tahoe came up on the short end of that physical matchup, losing 2-1 in the final minute of extended play at Sparks High School Saturday.
The game was a back-and-forth battle for most of the 80 minutes.
Sparks scored in the first few minutes to take an immediate 1-0 lead.
But South Tahoe showed some life after the wake-up goal. The Vikings maintained the majority of possessions in the first half and the beginning of the second half.
Diego Garcia scored the Vikings' lone goal off an assist from Austin Williams.
Defensively, Andres Orozco was the man of the match for the Vikings.
Sparks surged back, however, to dominate the last 20 minutes, and as time ticked down to the final minute the score was tied at 1-1.
"Unfortunately, we had a major injury in extended time," Hannah said.
Vikings' goalkeeper Kyle Hannah was injured in the final minute of that extra injury time. He came out, and Sparks capitalized on the opportunity with a go-ahead goal off a corner kick.
"They restarted the game for one play and Sparks scored on that play," Hannah said. "It was unfortunate, but it's part of the game.
"We'll get them next time."
UP NEXT: The boys beat Fallon 3-1 Thursday. Check Saturday's edition for complete results. They will host Fernley for senior day at 1 p.m. Saturday at South Tahoe High School.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local Sports
- South Tahoe All-Stars run table in Babe Ruth 14-year-old Nevada tournament, claim state championship
- Elevation Elite travel basketball program tips off in South Lake Tahoe
- Tahoe Training Camps brings high-level soccer to the region, locals hit the pitch during South Lake Tahoe camp
- Beach volleyball tourney to hit Zephyr Cove
- Brosch looks to set more school records at state meet
- Truckee-Tahoe business owners tackle housing shortage by becoming landlords
- Review: What’s it like riding a LimeBike in South Lake Tahoe?
- Momentum picks up in fight against invasive plants in Tahoe Keys
- State of the Lake Report on Lake Tahoe to be presented July 27
- Proposed Shoreline Plan could allow 138 new piers in Lake Tahoe