Physical match ends on tough note
October 10, 2013
If one word sums up South Tahoe's soccer match against Sparks this past weekend it would be physical.
The game was probably the most physical match boys soccer coach Ben Hannah has ever been a part of in his 40 years of soccer.
"It was refereed very evenly, but loosely," Hannah said. ""It was a good matchup. It was a really entertaining game and very, very physical."
South Tahoe came up on the short end of that physical matchup, losing 2-1 in the final minute of extended play at Sparks High School Saturday.
The game was a back-and-forth battle for most of the 80 minutes.
Sparks scored in the first few minutes to take an immediate 1-0 lead.
But South Tahoe showed some life after the wake-up goal. The Vikings maintained the majority of possessions in the first half and the beginning of the second half.
Diego Garcia scored the Vikings' lone goal off an assist from Austin Williams.
Defensively, Andres Orozco was the man of the match for the Vikings.
Sparks surged back, however, to dominate the last 20 minutes, and as time ticked down to the final minute the score was tied at 1-1.
"Unfortunately, we had a major injury in extended time," Hannah said.
Vikings' goalkeeper Kyle Hannah was injured in the final minute of that extra injury time. He came out, and Sparks capitalized on the opportunity with a go-ahead goal off a corner kick.
"They restarted the game for one play and Sparks scored on that play," Hannah said. "It was unfortunate, but it's part of the game.
"We'll get them next time."
UP NEXT: The boys beat Fallon 3-1 Thursday. Check Saturday's edition for complete results. They will host Fernley for senior day at 1 p.m. Saturday at South Tahoe High School.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local Sports
- American Century Championship reveals 2016 lineup; celebrity golf tournament returns to Edgewood Tahoe in July
- Beach volleyball tourney to hit Zephyr Cove
- Elevation Elite travel basketball program tips off in South Lake Tahoe
- South Tahoe Futbol Club debuts academy program, first session starts July 22
- South Tahoe Futbol Club U-18 Hawks, U-12 Tough girls soccer teams deliver championships at Come Up For Air
- Lake Tahoe kayaker recounts near-death experience in Upper Truckee River
- Edgewood Tahoe celebrates completion of $100M lodge
- Minden woman who died after falling in Upper Truckee River remembered at celebration of life
- Search continues in reduced capacity for missing kayaker at Lake Tahoe
- Kayaker reported missing at Lake Tahoe found safe in hotel room