Pitching lifts Vikings
April 10, 2014
South Tahoe High School’s baseball team beat Sparks 9-1 in a make-up game Wednesday afternoon. The game was originally scheduled for March 29, but postponed due to a snowstorm.
Sergio Burgueno was the starting pitcher and threw the first three innings before being replaced by Garret Harley who threw the next three innings. Harley was replaced by Liam Loftis who recorded the last three outs. All three pitchers combined for four hits and one run.
“It starts with our pitching,” said head coach Starbuck Teevan. “If the pitchers can throw strikes it keeps our defense off the field and our offense on the field.”
Senior RJ Rivera came out with some big at-bats going 2-for-4 with three RBIs. Juniors Kolby Eymann and Dakota Lynch each went 2-for-4 with an RBI.
“I think we have a tough line-up, one through nine. We’re getting contribution all the way through, not just the big bats,” said Teevan “(We) played pretty good defense and didn’t make any costly mistakes.”
This was the Vikings and Railroaders last match-up of the regular season with South Tahoe going 3-0 in the series. The win brings the Vikings winning streak to eight games with the last loss coming against Elko on March 21.
“I’ve seen a good deal of improvement on our defensive approach — we’re not making nearly as many mistakes,” Teevan said. “Offensively, we have a really good approach at the plate. We have a very big series ahead of us this weekend against Lowry and we’re looking forward to the series.”
The Vikings, 9-5 (8-1 in conference), will take on the 5-9 (5-4) Buckaroos in a three games series at home starting this afternoon with a Saturday doubleheader.
Trending In: Local Sports
- South Tahoe football flattens Fernley 36-8 in home opener, Galli shines in first varsity start
- Spring ball: South Lake Tahoe youth team competes in Excel Athletics tackle football league
- State champions: South Tahoe All-Stars beat Summerlin North, claim Little League Intermediate 50/70 Division Nevada crown
- South Tahoe volleyball aims for smooth transition under new head coach Racca
- South Tahoe girls golf hosts tournament at Lake Tahoe Golf Course, finishes 5th