Sierra Lutheran tops Whittell
January 26, 2017
The Whittell High School girls basketball team (5-14 overall, 3-4 in the division) faced the top ranked Sierra Lutheran Falcons (10-5 overall, 5-0 in the division) this past Tuesday.
Sierra Lutheran started the game on top and never looked back, winning with a final score of 46-29. The Warriors played hard throughout the game, which included a lively fourth quarter, but the late surge wasn't enough to overtake the league-leading Falcons.
Whittell High head coach Robin Caires was very optimistic about her team's performance.
"We're a young program. With this being my first year as coach, I'm very happy with the job we did holding the top team in the division to 46 points," Caires said. "I'm very optimistic about the way the team is performing in this rebuilding year."
Whittell was led by senior Ali Copsy (11 points) and sophomore Brianna Johns (nine points).
The Whittell girls will travel to Nixon, Nevada on Saturday, Jan. 28, for a conference matchup against Pyramid Lake. The game is scheduled to start at 1 p.m.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local Sports
- Clear Creek: A gem in the Tahoe forest
- Elevation Elite travel basketball program tips off in South Lake Tahoe
- Success in strength: New Viking Strength and Conditioning Center offers cutting-edge tool for South Tahoe athletics
- 2013 Banked Slalom Results
- Herrera takes state: South Tahoe wrestler wins Div. I-A State championship in dominant fashion
- Carousel Estate on Lake Tahoe West Shore on market for $29.5 million (video)
- New mountain community under construction near Lake Tahoe
- J-1 visa program helps Lake Tahoe South Shore businesses
- Lake Tahoe weather: Rain possible today, cloudy conditions to linger through week
- Changes to South Lake Tahoe vacation home rental rules finalized