Smoke cancels more prep sports
September 3, 2013
Smoke from the Rim Fire, which is now more than 230,000 acres, forced the cancellation of high school soccer and tennis matches from South Lake Tahoe to Reno on Tuesday.
South Tahoe's non-league tennis matches against McQueen, girls at home and boys away, were both canceled with no make-up date scheduled.
State athletic officials canceled all outdoor events and practices Tuesday in Reno-Sparks, Carson City and surrounding areas when the air quality index exceeded the 100 level shortly after noon.
The 118 reading considered unhealthy for sensitive populations slipped back to a moderate reading of 97 after 2 p.m. It had shown significant improvement at times over the holiday weekend.
Games scheduled for Wednesday and Thursday will be dependent upon an improved air quality, according to Donnie Nelson, Assistant Director of the Nevada Interscholastic Activities Association.
The surrounding counties that fell under this restricted, no-play zone on Tuesday were Mono (Coleville exempt) El Dorado (South Tahoe), Sierra (North Tahoe), Nevada (Truckee), Douglas, Carson, Washoe, Storey and Lyon.
Games and practices have been affected along most of the Sierra's eastern front since smoke from the fire at Yosemite National Park more than 100 miles away began to thicken on Aug. 22. The fire is now 75 percent contained and is estimate to be in full containment by Sept. 20.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local Sports
- American Century Championship reveals 2016 lineup; celebrity golf tournament returns to Edgewood Tahoe in July
- Beach battles: South Tahoe Beach Wrestling Championships return to Lakeview Commons for second edition, doubles in size
- Lake Tahoe CC women’s soccer reveals 2016 recruiting class, looks to build with talented, versatile group
- South Tahoe All-Stars swept at Babe Ruth 14-year-old regional tournament
- South Tahoe Futbol Club U-18 Hawks, U-12 Tough girls soccer teams deliver championships at Come Up For Air
- Smoke from Mariposa County fire continues to fill Tahoe Basin (video)
- Mariposa County fire in California threatens 1,500 structures near Yosemite
- Tahoe Keys Marina without running water as dispute over bills continues
- Carson City bypass ready for debut; residents to ride, run, walk final stretch of freeway Saturday
- Sierra homeowners are losing coverage because of surrounding brush, trees