South Tahoe baseball: Vikings drops Game 3 in Fallon
May 6, 2013
The Fallon baseball team advanced to the Northern Division I-A regional tournament Saturday with a 5-4 win over South Tahoe at the Ed Arciniega Complex.
Fallon pitchers Hunter Mori and Morgan Dirickson kept South Tahoe at bay. Mori earned the win and allowed four runs — three unearned — on five hits. He struck out two and walked three in five innings.
Dirickson, meanwhile, shut the door in relief and struck out the side in the seventh to seal the win.
South Tahoe took a 2-0 lead after the first inning, but Fallon answered with three in the bottom half of the inning. The Vikings tied the game at 3 in the second, but Fallon pushed across two runs in the third and held on.
South Tahoe's Tyler Sharp and Sergio Burgueno each notched one RBI and one hit apiece, Sharp with a triple. Christian Coats, Bobby Gonzalez and River Quinn also contributed hits.
Third-seeded Fallon takes on No. 2 Lowry at 11:30 a.m. on Friday. In the other matchup, top-seeded Elko faces No. 4 Truckee, who swept Fernley, at 9 a.m. The winners advance to the semifinals at 4:30 p.m., while the losers play at 2 p.m.
The top two teams qualify for the state tournament at the College of Southern Nevada in Henderson in two weeks.
Trending In: Local Sports
- Tang sisters medal in state championships
- South Tahoe, Whittell track teams have strong finishes at state meet
- South Tahoe swim team competes at NIAA state swim meet
- South Tahoe spring football undefeated in Excel Athletics prep
- Newberger goes for national title with Golden State Elite Hockey midget team
- Lake Tahoe water board orders further study, cleanup of contaminated groundwater
- Tahoe crime recap: Scissor-wielding transient man arrested after hurling profanity, threats
- UPDATE: Police say stolen tractor-trailer crashed into famed brothel near Carson City
- Ribaudo column: Housing in Tahoe — ‘like a bad toothache that doesn’t go away’
- Suggestions for making the most of Memorial Day weekend at Lake Tahoe