South Tahoe girls pick up wins over weekend
November 4, 2013
The South Tahoe girls' soccer team recently picked up two more Division 1-A Ruby Mountain League wins, a decisive 4-0 victory over Elko on Friday night and a 1-0 win over Spring Creek on Saturday afternoon, to inch closer to the league title.
On Friday night, which was senior night, four different players scored and four different players assisted in the victory. Brittany Hubberts scored her 11th goal of the season, Jordyn Dion scored her team-leading 14th, and Riley Chapman scored her first goal of the year. Head coach Jeremy Evans said it was the best his team had played in over a month.
"It was a joy to watch," said Evans, whose team outshot Elko 19-4. "The girls played together as a team and really rallied together for our seniors in their last home game at South Tahoe High School. It was exciting to see the performance they put together."
On Saturday at South Tahoe Middle School, the Vikings narrowly escaped with a 1-0 victory over the Spartans on Allison King's header in the 72nd minute off an indirect kick from Sarah Higginbotham. South Tahoe outshot Spring Creek 12-2, but the game was never easy. King, who has nine goals on the season, also scored against Elko.
"A night after putting together one of our better performances, we took a step back on Saturday," Evans said. "Give credit to Spring Creek. They were fighting for their playoff lives. They played hard and inspired and made it very difficult on us. It seemed there was an emotional hangover from the night before, and we needed all 80 minutes to hang onto the win."
South Tahoe, which remains in first place in the league at 11-1-2 (35 points), one point ahead of second-place Truckee, plays at Dayton on Tuesday and at Sparks on Thursday.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local Sports
- South Tahoe All-Stars run table in Babe Ruth 14-year-old Nevada tournament, claim state championship
- Beach volleyball tourney to hit Zephyr Cove
- Adult Flag Football looking for players
- American Century Championship reveals 2016 lineup; celebrity golf tournament returns to Edgewood Tahoe in July
- Football careers carry on for two Vikings
- Jack Johnson donates to Lake Tahoe environmental groups
- Ribaudo column: Is Lake Tahoe’s South Shore at risk of overtourism?
- Tahoe warming at 14 times the normal rate
- Stateline woman riding high after finishing 2nd in Tahoe Rim Trail Endurance Run 100 mile race
- UPDATE: Crews reach 100 percent containment on Ranch Fire in El Dorado County