South Tahoe sneaks into fourth
September 4, 2013
South Tahoe 411
Spring Creek 420
SOUTH TAHOE INDIVIDUAL SCORES
Ayden Williamson 91
Katie Sears 102
Courtney Cromwell 103
Emily Aminian 115
Under slightly smoky skies, the Lowry, Elko and Fernley girls golf teams picked up right where they left off last season at the South Lake Tahoe season opener on Wednesday.
Lowry took top honors with a team score of 357. Elko posted a collective 364 for second, and Fernley a 369 for third. No big surprise in the top three. The same golf programs led the league last year, but there were a few unexpected finishes in Wednesday's first tournament of the season at the Tahoe Paradise Golf Course in Meyers.
South Tahoe, which did not have enough girls to qualify for team scoring last year, snuck into fourth place (411) in front of Spring Creek (420). Fallon (462) and Dayton (526) rounded out the scores.
"It was a good start, considering all the smoke lately. We haven't been able to practice much," South Tahoe golf coach Greg Kuntz said. "But they're a great group of kids and already getting better."
Senior Ayden Williamson (91) and junior Emily Aminian (115) both shot personal bests. Senior Katie Sears chipped in a 102 and freshman Courtney Cromwell added a 103.
Individually, Fernley's Brittany Evans led the field with a 72. Elko's Kaily Beatty wasn't far behind with a 75, and Mikal Jerman of Spring Creek posted an 80.
Lowry didn't post the best individual scores of the day, but captured first with its strong collective effort. Lowry's top four all posted scores under 100. Alyssa Dendary shot an 84, Caitlin Orr an 89, Elise Rose a 91 and Ning Landt a 93.
Truckee and Sparks did not have enough golfers to qualify for a team score, but Truckee's lone golfer did turn in a standout performance. Freshman Sienna Scibird shot an 84 in her first high school tournament, tying the third best individual score of the day.
"She could go to state as a freshman," Kuntz said.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local Sports
- American Century Championship reveals 2016 lineup; celebrity golf tournament returns to Edgewood Tahoe in July
- Beach battles: South Tahoe Beach Wrestling Championships return to Lakeview Commons for second edition, doubles in size
- Tahoe Training Camps brings high-level soccer to the region, locals hit the pitch during South Lake Tahoe camp
- Aces low: Whittell baseball falls to cross-lake foe Incline 14-4 at Greater Nevada Field
- South Tahoe softball athlete earns scholarship to play at South Dakota State University
- Smoke from Mariposa County fire continues to fill Tahoe Basin (video)
- Tahoe Keys Marina without running water as dispute over bills continues
- Mariposa County fire in California threatens 1,500 structures near Yosemite
- Carson City bypass ready for debut; residents to ride, run, walk final stretch of freeway Saturday
- Lake Tahoe Basin under air quality alert, dense smoke advisory as fire rages near Yosemite