South Tahoe sweeps Sparks
March 31, 2014
South Tahoe High School's softball team won both games in a double-header against Sparks Friday afternoon while a third game scheduled for Saturday was postponed due to a snowstorm.
With the wins, the Lady Vikings improved to 4-1 in league play and 5-4 overall.
Hannah Neiger pitched all seven innings in the first game, a 7-4 win, earning eight strikeouts, five hits and three walks.
At the plate, Neigher went one for four with three RBIs. Senior Kayla Griffis went two for four with one RBI and sophomore Bailey Barcellos also went two for four with a triple. Freshman Kendra Conard went two for four with three RBIs, a triple and an inside-the-park homerun.
"We had a few defensive errors, but cleaned it up for the second half," said first-year head coach Shawna Mayo.
The second game saw the Lady Vikings win 11-1 in five innings under the ten-run mercy rule.
Conard pitched all five innings, earning 10 strikeouts and walking three batters.
Conard went three for four in hitting with one RBI and one stolen base. Senior Brittany Harper was two for two with a triple and senior Madison Guttery went two for four with one RBI. Neiger went one for three with three RBIs.
"The first game we played on their level and the second we played at our level and that was the difference," said Mayo.
Trending In: Local Sports
- Breaking the ice: South Lake Tahoe Vikings hockey delivers Northern California championship a decade in the making
- South Tahoe baseball begins Northern 3A conference play
- Season underway
- Gridiron great: Whittell alum Mike Crawford inducted into Nevada Athletics Hall of Fame
- Local results for Friday Night BMX
- Fresno man falls to his death at Harveys Lake Tahoe
- Bear activity picking up around Lake Tahoe; people urged to be ‘bear aware’
- At 80 years young, Lake Tahoe man is Heavenly Mountain Resort ski instructor
- Indian restaurant hidden in a liquor store gains following in South Lake Tahoe
- Marina fee increase forces cancellation of 2017 South Tahoe Wooden Boat Classic