South Tahoe sweeps Sparks
March 31, 2014
South Tahoe High School’s softball team won both games in a double-header against Sparks Friday afternoon while a third game scheduled for Saturday was postponed due to a snowstorm.
With the wins, the Lady Vikings improved to 4-1 in league play and 5-4 overall.
Hannah Neiger pitched all seven innings in the first game, a 7-4 win, earning eight strikeouts, five hits and three walks.
At the plate, Neigher went one for four with three RBIs. Senior Kayla Griffis went two for four with one RBI and sophomore Bailey Barcellos also went two for four with a triple. Freshman Kendra Conard went two for four with three RBIs, a triple and an inside-the-park homerun.
“We had a few defensive errors, but cleaned it up for the second half,” said first-year head coach Shawna Mayo.
The second game saw the Lady Vikings win 11-1 in five innings under the ten-run mercy rule.
Conard pitched all five innings, earning 10 strikeouts and walking three batters.
Conard went three for four in hitting with one RBI and one stolen base. Senior Brittany Harper was two for two with a triple and senior Madison Guttery went two for four with one RBI. Neiger went one for three with three RBIs.
“The first game we played on their level and the second we played at our level and that was the difference,” said Mayo.
Trending In: Local Sports
- Fallon ends South Tahoe’s baseball season at state tournament
- State champions: South Tahoe All-Stars beat Summerlin North, claim Little League Intermediate 50/70 Division Nevada crown
- Big BMX qualifier
- Lake Tahoe CC women’s soccer reveals 2016 recruiting class, looks to build with talented, versatile group
- Baseball’s best in league, state
- ‘Ninja road stars’ piercing tires in South Lake Tahoe
- Police seeking assistance with hit and run outside Harveys Lake Tahoe
- In the après-ski spirit: Spots to check out after skiing in the Tahoe Basin
- Stay ‘bear aware’ during winter in the Lake Tahoe region
- Lake Tahoe food tampering suspect caught shoplifting dog food at Raley’s last summer