South Tahoe sweeps Sparks
March 31, 2014
South Tahoe High School's softball team won both games in a double-header against Sparks Friday afternoon while a third game scheduled for Saturday was postponed due to a snowstorm.
With the wins, the Lady Vikings improved to 4-1 in league play and 5-4 overall.
Hannah Neiger pitched all seven innings in the first game, a 7-4 win, earning eight strikeouts, five hits and three walks.
At the plate, Neigher went one for four with three RBIs. Senior Kayla Griffis went two for four with one RBI and sophomore Bailey Barcellos also went two for four with a triple. Freshman Kendra Conard went two for four with three RBIs, a triple and an inside-the-park homerun.
"We had a few defensive errors, but cleaned it up for the second half," said first-year head coach Shawna Mayo.
The second game saw the Lady Vikings win 11-1 in five innings under the ten-run mercy rule.
Conard pitched all five innings, earning 10 strikeouts and walking three batters.
Conard went three for four in hitting with one RBI and one stolen base. Senior Brittany Harper was two for two with a triple and senior Madison Guttery went two for four with one RBI. Neiger went one for three with three RBIs.
"The first game we played on their level and the second we played at our level and that was the difference," said Mayo.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local Sports
- Beach volleyball tourney to hit Zephyr Cove
- American Century Championship reveals 2016 lineup; celebrity golf tournament returns to Edgewood Tahoe in July
- Elevation Elite travel basketball program tips off in South Lake Tahoe
- In a lane of her own: South Tahoe alum Snyder continues to break down barriers in NASCAR
- Lake Tahoe CC women’s soccer reveals 2016 recruiting class, looks to build with talented, versatile group
- Lake Tahoe kayaker recounts near-death experience in Upper Truckee River
- Edgewood Tahoe celebrates completion of $100M lodge
- Parking restrictions beefed up at Raley’s Village Center
- 5 things to know about the proposed South Lake Tahoe sales tax for roads
- Minden woman who died after falling in Upper Truckee River remembered at celebration of life